3x01 The Night of the Bubbling Death
First Aired: Sep. 08, 1967 on CBS
Summary: When Victor Freemantle, a dangerous revolutionary, steals the U.S. Constitution, agents James West and Artemus Gordon are sent by the government to the Panhandle Strip in Texas to recover it. West and Mr.Grigsby, a curator of the United States Archives, go to a secret underground hideout…
Main Characters in this Episode
Carlotta Waters: And you were made for a form-fitting pine box.
- Goof (continuity error): West uses a glass cutter to retrieve the U.S. Constitution, which was lying flat under a covering sheet of glass. But when he reaches in and pulls the document free, it is no longer flat, but is rolled up.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When West and Grimsby are blindfolded and taken inside the lair, they are led down a flight of stone steps. You can clearly hear the echo of the wood the stairs are actually made from.
- Goof (continuity error): When Grigsby first approaches the stolen U.S. Constitution, it's under glass. But second later he lifts the paper without removing the glass, which has disappeared. It's back later, when West must cut it to retrieve the document.
- Goof (revealing mistake): After letting Arte through the gate Jim drags away an unconscious guard, but you can see him raise his head so it won't be scraped along the ground (who can blame him?) (Found at the 21:35 mark on the DVD)
- Goof (revealing mistake): West crashes into what appears to be a real water barrel of regular construction - heavy wood slats that have grayed with age, bound by two heavy iron bands. The barrel breaks apart easily exposing the inside of the barrel and revealing that it is actually made of clean, new, lightweight balsa or basswood. The two "iron hoops" can be seen to be mere painted on black stripes allowing the barrel to break apart in a way it could never have had it been bound with iron bands.
- This marks the acting debut of former football player, Timothy Brown, who remains shirtless throughout.