5x14 The Beta Test Initiation
First Aired: Jan. 26, 2012 on CBS
Summary: Leonard and Penny deal with the idea of starting a relationship again and Raj finally finds a "woman" he can talk to without being drunk, in the form of Siri on his new iPhone. Meanwhile, Sheldon decides to start a YouTube series entitled "Sheldon Cooper presents Fun with Flags" with the…
Main Characters in this Episode
Leonard Hofstadter: Me too. I missed you.
Penny: You see me all the time. You sure you just don't miss the sex?
Leonard Hofstadter: Well... yeah, sex with you is pretty great; have you ever tried it?
Penny: I have; you are not wrong.
Siri: My name is Siri.
Raj Koothrappali: One name. Just like Cher, Madonna, Adele... all the ladies that rock me.
Amy Farrah Fowler: Hang on, Doctor C, what's vexillology?
Sheldon Cooper: Vexillology is the study of flags.
Amy Farrah Fowler: Cool! I think I just learned something.
Sheldon Cooper: Did you have fun doing it?
Amy Farrah Fowler: I'll say!
Sheldon Cooper: Fun and information are two sides to this video podcast. Not unlike the only two-sided state flag. Oregon.
Sheldon Cooper: Oh, look.
Sheldon Cooper: Hello, Mister Beaver. In future episodes we'll answer some burning questions. What's the only non-rectangular flag? What animal appears most often on flags? What animal appears second most often on flags? And more.
Amy Farrah Fowler: Sweet!
Sheldon Cooper: Why are you waving a white flag?
Amy Farrah Fowler: I'm surrendering... to fun!
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): At the end, Sheldon Says "Ich bin eine Bavarian." The correct German is "Ich bin ein Bayer." Bavarian is the English word for a resident of Bavaria (Bayern).
- Goof (factual errors): While speaking to Raj in his office, Sheldon states that the flags of Liechtenstein and Haiti were identical by coincidence; a fact that wasn't discovered until they competed against each other at the 1936 Olympics. While the flags are similar, Haiti never competed in the 1936 Olympiad, falsifying Sheldon's statement. In fact, the two countries didn't attend the same Olympics until the 1960 Olympiad in Rome.
- Goof (factual errors): Penny cycles the slide on the handgun before inserting the clip. To make the gun ready to fire the slide needs to be cycled after the clip is inserted.
- 'Becky ODonohue provides the voice of Siri, and portrays her as an actual woman in Raj's nightmare.
- The title is derived from Leonard and Penny discussing the possibility of starting a relationship again, and Leonard's subsequent suggestion that they can start by treating the relationship like a beta test and give "bug reports" to each other, to maintain complete honesty between them.
- Though she supposedly is not a free spirit willing to wear costumes, Amy does not object to dressing up as a giant pretzel when filming the "Fun With Flags" podcast about the Bavarian flag.
- Penny and Leonard begin seeing each other again in this one.
- Vexillology is the study of flags.