1x23 Louise Lasser/Preservation Hall Jazz Band
First Aired: Jul. 24, 1976 on NBC
Summary: Live from New York, It's...Chevy Chase Sketches include--Belushi thinks Chevy has a big head, Louise Lasser locks herself dressing room, General "V.D" Amin, Sven and Inger, John Belushi tries to sell his clothes, Ode to Television, Louise apologizes to her dog, Jimmy Carter talks about the campagin.
Main Characters in this Episode
- Louise Lasser and Chevy Chase filmed a sequence at Madison Square Garden, where the Democratic National Convention was taking place. That film was not used for reasons unknown. The film featuring Lasser and Michael Sarrazin was hastily filmed to replace it.
- A few weeks prior to this episode, the show won numerous Emmy Awards. Because of this, NBC persuaded Lorne Michaels into producing two more episodes in July even though the season had already ended.
- Lorne Michaels was so dissatisfied with this episode that he barred it from repeats. It eventually was rerun in syndication in 1981 after Michaels left the show.
- Although it was joked about in the monologue sketch, Lasser really did lock herself in her dressing room before airtime refusing to do the show. She was convinced to come out just before airtime. If Lasser had not come out, Michaels planned to have Chevy Chase take Lasser's place wearing a wig and future cast member Bill Murray taking Chase's place in sketches.
- During rehearsals, Louise Lasser refused to do any sketches with the cast. She was eventually convinced to do one sketch with Chevy Chase.