1x04 Candice Bergen/Esther Phillips
First Aired: Nov. 08, 1975 on NBC
Summary: Tonight's host is Candice Bergen with musical guest Esther Phillips.Sketches: "Gerald Ford's Address," "Ambassador Training Institute," "Jaws II," "Garrett Morris and the CIA," "Catherine Deneuve," "Black Perspective," "Midnight Probe," "Foreign Man," "Crank Call to Airline Stewardess,"…
Main Characters in this Episode
- An engineer at NBC owned-and-operated WNBC-TV thought the "Ambassador Training Institute" commercial parody was a real ad, and turned to a local commercial. This prompted Lorne Michaels to resign as producer, only to return the next Tuesday.
- This is the first time Chevy Chase says his Weekend Update introduction "Good evening, I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not."
- This the first time Andy Kaufman's "Foreign Man" character speaks in his indistinguishable accent. In previous appearances, he lip-synched to novelty records. This character became a precursor to Latka Gravas of Taxi,
- Michael O'Donoghue is no longer credited as a Not Ready For Prime Time Player starting with this episode but he would continue to appear in sketches until 1980.
- The "Long Distance" commercial parody, which featured a gay man reminiscing about dressing in his mother's clothes, angered The Gay Activists Alliance. It has been edited out most of the repeats.