4x01 Welcome to Korea
First Aired: Sep. 12, 1975 on CBS
Summary: Frank finally realizes his dream and takes command of the 4077th with the departure of Henry Blake. When Hawkeye returns from R&R he is shocked to find that his best friend 'Trapper' John has gone home and runs off with Radar to say goodbye before he leaves on his flight. Arrive a few…
Series Main Characters
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Huh?
Radar: [under his breath] He's coming over here!
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Play hard to get.
Radar: Don't horse around!
Capt. B.J. Hunnicut: Sir.
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Colonel.
Colonel: You all know this is an Officer's Club, don't you?
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: I'm a Captain, Plain Clothes Division.
Colonel: Uh huh. Corporal Stripes and Captains Bars?
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: That's a new directive from the Pentagon. That's right out of G2 and G3 making a G5 Combined Officers Op-Tech Glitch. We're experimenting with a new rank: Corporal-Captain. We're down here taking a survey, to see, uh, you know, if everybody likes it, uh, asking everybody in Seoul.
Capt. B.J. Hunnicut: Goldman-Hawkins, right?
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Right.
Colonel: Well, I don't like it. I don't like it at all!
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: [to BJ] Uh, put down one "No;" one "Against."
Capt. B.J. Hunnicut: Right. One "Negative; Corporal-Captain."
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: Thank you, Colonel. We really appreciate your help in this.
Colonel: No, Sir! I don't like it at all!
Radar: He doesn't like it at all.
Maj. Frank Marion 'Ferret Face' Burns: I don't know what you're talking about!
M.P. Lieutenant: You'll have to come with me, sir.
Maj. Frank Marion 'Ferret Face' Burns: What?
Capt. Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce: I'd vouch for this man's character, Lieutenant, but he doesn't have any.
Maj. Frank Marion 'Ferret Face' Burns: Snot! Snot! Snot!
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Frank asks Klinger why he's wearing a flowered hat to morning drill, he replies, "It's spring, sir!" However, a graphic later identifies the episode as taking place in September 1952, which would be autumn in Korea.
- Goof (continuity error): Throughout the beginning of the episode, Radar and Hawkeye change Jeeps unexpectedly. At the beginning of the episode when Radar and Hawkeye leave the 4077th, they are in a standard issue Jeep with the front windshield folded down on top of the hood and only the identification numbers on the driver and passenger sides of the hood. As Radar and Hawkeye approach the first checkpoint and the shot changes to forward view over Radar and Hawkeye's shoulders, you notice they are in a different Jeep with no front windshield and a large white star on the hood.
- Goof (boom mic visible): While O'Reilly is being "promoted" to "Corporal Captain" outside of the Kimpo O-Club, the shadow of a boom mic is visible on his left shoulder.
- Goof (miscellaneous): At the start of the episode when the United Nations flag is being raised, it is upside down.
- Goof (continuity error): After changing the flat tire in the General's Jeep they stole, they abandon the tire while under fire. However when they arrive at Rosie's Bar, the spare tire is mounted on the back of the vehicle for the remainder of the episode.
- Debut of Mike Farrel as Capitain B.J. Hunnicut, and the first episode to last more than 25 minutes.
- Colonel Potter reports for duty to the 4077th at "1600 hrs., 19 September, 1952".
- At the end of this segment the P.A. announcement reports Col. Sherman Potter will arrive and take command of the 4077th on 19 Sept (1952). The next segment "Change of Command", which introduces Potter, originally aired 19 Sept (1975).