1x01 Pilot (1)
First Aired: Sep. 22, 2004 on ABC
Summary: Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had—like Kate who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds.…
Main Characters in this Episode
Jack: A complicated walkie-talkie.
- Goof (continuity error): During the flashback sequences for both the pilot and the finale, different characters are meant to be traveling through different sections of the plane, although it appears that, with the exception of business class, the same section was used for filming but with different people. This becomes a problem when spoken lines referring to seat numbers as well as the footage from right before the crash doesn't match at all to the boarding footage in the finale.
- Goof (factual errors): The Oceanic airplane is supposed to be a Boeing 777, but when you see Jack running through the wreckage you can see that the main landing gear of the plane has only 4 wheels instead of the six a B-777 would have. Also, when Kate, Jack and Charlie reach the front section of the plane, in several shots where you can see the instruments of the cockpit, there are 3 engine indicators instead of the two a 777 would have
- Goof (continuity error): In the opening sequence, after Jack removes his bloody undershirt, Kate sews up a large wound in his back. Yet, later, in the cockpit scenes, not only is Jack's rainplastered, semi-transparent undershirt pristine white, it (and his back) is perfectly smooth - no bandages, no stitches.
- Goof (errors in geography): The numbers as coordinates actually take you to a place in central Africa.
- Goof (continuity error): When Jack uses his tie in the first scenes, you can see he is still wearing it in the next shot.
- The cast were not allowed to see the set of the cockpit leaning against some trees. They were made to cover their eyes until the cameras rolled so the look of shock in their eyes would be genuine.
- Jack's speech about counting to 5 to face his fears was written well before Matthew Fox was cast in the role - who coincidentally has a large 5 tattooed on his shoulder.
- The scene where Jack asks Kate to sew up his back injury was the audition scene used to select the two actors to play Jack and Kate.
- Vincent the (boy) dog is actually played by a female.
- Matthew Fox's dilating pupil in the opening shot was achieved through digital effects.