1x02 The First Cut Is the Deepest
First Aired: Apr. 03, 2005 on ABC
Summary: The surgical staff tries to stay positive when a young woman, despite brain surgery, is clinging to life after a brutal attempted rape. Meanwhile, Meredith risks her spot in the intern program when she crosses the line in order to save a newborn suffering from a undiagnosed heart condition.…
Main Characters in this Episode
Dr. Meredith Grey: I knew that was going to come up.
Dr. Derek Shepherd: Don't get me wrong: I like the kissing. I'm all for the kissing. More kissing, I say.
Dr. Meredith Grey: I have no idea what that was about.
Dr. Derek Shepherd: Is it going to happen again? Let me know next time. I'll bring breath mints. Put a condom in my wallet.
Dr. Meredith Grey: Just stop it right now.
Dr. George O'Malley: I mean, are we supposed to learning something? Because I don't feel like I'm learning anything.
Dr. Isobel "Izzie" Stevens: Except how not to sleep.
Dr. Cristina Yang: You know, it's like there's a wall. The attendings and the residents are over there being surgeons, and we're over here being...
Dr. Meredith Grey: Suturing, code-running, lab-delivering, penis-minders.
Dr. Alex Karev: I hate being an intern.
- Goof (continuity error): George has toothpaste on the side of his face in the locker room, but in the next shot the toothpaste has disappeared.
- Goof (continuity error): When Cristina and Alex are delivering news to their patients about the overnight labs they look and act as if they are changing rooms. However, the pictures behind their heads are the same in every room they enter.
- Goof (continuity error): At the end of episode 2, Meredith has her hair tied in a ponytail when talking to Dr. Sheperd but as she exits the building to join her friends, her hair is let down.
- Goof (continuity error): Near the end of the episode, Grey and Derek have a conversation in front of the elevator. Typing on his gadget he snaps it shut in one shot, but the next shot shows the gadget is still open and he shuts it again.
- Every episode of the show is named after a famous song. "The First Cut is the Deepest" is a song by Cat Stevens
- The flier Meredith posts for roommates says "Two nice rooms with shared bath available immediately, close to Seattle Grace. Near coffee shop, public transportation, shopping, and convenient to almost everything. Non-smokers only please, no pets and absolutely no Bush supporters need apply. All applicants will need to have a credit check completed. First and last month's rent plus a deposit is required to move in."
- Christina is the first person to call Shepherd "McDreamy"