4x01 Roswell That Ends Well
First Aired: Dec. 09, 2001 on Comedy Central
Summary: A supernova causes an accident which sends the crew back in time to 1947, where they land in Roswell, Area 51. Fry and Bender's head have to go in for a rescue mission to free Dr Zoidberg and Bender's body from an army base where Fry's grandfather works.
Main Characters in this Episode
Mildred: [on the phone] Killed? In an atomic blast? No, sir, I'm afraid I don't take much solace in the fact that the implosion trigger functioned perfectly.
Dr. Zoidberg: The President is gagging on my gas bladder. What an honor.
Sergeant: Private, I want this toilet bowl so clean, I can eat off it, because I intend to!
- Goof (anachronisms): The P40 Warhawks were obsolete in 1947. The P51 Mustang would have been the correct fighter - if jets were not available.
- The outline of the Star Trek logo can be seen on the tabletop of the 50's diner.
- In this episode, Bender's head is trapped in the past, and the crew digs it up out of the ground when they return to their own time. This is a reference to the _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ episode "Time's Arrow," in which exactly the same thing happens to Data.
- This episode borrows heavily from the rumors surrounding the famous Roswell Incident, including the capture of a live alien (Zoidberg), the recovery of strange metallic debris (Bender's body) and the "alien autopsy." It also bears a striking resolution to the "grandfather paradox" of time travel.
- The Conspiracy Nut takes two photographs. His second photo of the Planet Express ship comes out looking like the famous "Surgeon's Photograph" of the Loch Ness Monster.
- The episode's title can be seen on the bomb dropped by planet express when they storm Roswell airbase.