3x04 Parasites Lost
First Aired: Jan. 21, 2001 on Comedy Central
Summary: When Fry eats an egg-salad sandwich from a vending machine at a gas station, he begins to have strange side-effects -- he becomes stronger and smarter. Professor Farnsworth makes a diagnosis and concludes that Fry had ingested "intelligent worms" that have set up shop in his body. Because…
Main Characters in this Episode
Amy Wong: [whispers] Okay, Professor.
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: WHAT?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: We're in the heart, better known as the love muscle.
Dr. Zoidberg: Where the food is digested.
The Lord Mayor of Cologne: He's bluffing. No creature would voluntarily make an idiot of itself.
Fry: Obviously, you've never been in love.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): SPOILER: Fry is trying to get the worms to leave and threatens to slice the medulla oblongata and the worms react by agreeing to leave. Although the worms aren't physically connected to Fry and might be able to repair the damage, Fry will likely die before they can do so, and it is never suggested that the worms could bring Fry back to life; only improve his already living body.
- Goof (factual errors): The term parasite refers to a life-form that harms another life-form in order to survive. Technically, since the worms thrived inside Fry and improved his biologic functions to the point where he was much more intelligent and much stronger, they would not be parasites, but, rather, symbiotic with Fry.
- Goof (plot holes): SPOILER: When Fry enters the bowel, the guards ask him who he is, yet there is a statue of him in the same vicinity.
- According the David X. Cohen in the DVD commentary, the reason that Hermes is eating popcorn out of a jai-alai scoop is because of a scene that was cut out. In the original script, the worms inside Fry needed metal to build their city so Fry developed a craving for eating silverware. The Planet Express office ran out of silverware so they were forced to eat with jai-alai scoops.
- Title screen gag: If not entertaining, write your congressman.
- Leela's apartment number is 1I (Leela only has one eye). Also, in the show's pilot, she says that her officer code is 1B-DI ("one beady eye").