7x01 Asylum of the Daleks
First Aired: Sep. 01, 2012 on BBC One
Summary: Kidnapped by his oldest foe, the Doctor is forced on an impossible mission - to a place even the Daleks are too terrified to enter... the Asylum. A planetary prison confining the most terrifying and insane of their kind, the Doctor and the Ponds must find an escape route. But with Amy and…
Main Characters in this Episode
Oswin: Run, you clever boy, and remember.
- Goof (continuity error): About 17 minutes into the show 'Rory' wakes up in a room full of Daleks that are not moving, he goes up to one It has two lights on its dome but in the reverse shot from behind the Dalek (& from above) the light on the left hand side of the dome is missing, there is just a hole in the dome where the light should be. The shot changes six times so it is very noticeable.
- Goof (audio/visual unsynchronized): When being shot at the Dalek Asylum, Rory yells "Wrong way up!" twice, but his mouth only says "Wrong way!"
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When the Doctor sets the self-destructing Dalek to "reverse", as the Dalek is backing into the group of Daleks, you can briefly see the rope that pulls the Dalek as it lifts up when it loses slack.
- The scenes with Oswin were filmed in two days.
- Oswin is played by 'Jenna Louise Coleman'. Coleman was originally cast as the Doctor's new companion and scheduled to make her first appearance during the Christmas special. Steven Moffat came up with the idea to cast Colemen in this episode in order to generate speculation about her character. The Christmas special later revealed that the new companion's name is "Clara Oswin Oswald" and that she is somehow connected to Oswin.
- Russell T. Davies loaned the production a TV Dalek he owns for use in this story.
- This has the second showing (if you look carefully) of the special weapons Dalek in the background which was only ever seen in Remembrance of the Daleks - 4 of 4 which has a single 'cannon' weapon and no domed head.
- The BBC had to put out a call asking anyone who owned a Dalek to contact them because they did not have enough to make this episode and that they needed Daleks of different eras.