9x21 If I Had A Hammer
First Aired: Apr. 23, 2009 on CBS
Summary: The team arrives at the scene of a triple homicide in a supposedly quiet neighborhood where a little girl witnessed her entire family getting killed. The only thing the team has to go on is the girl's description of a scar on the man's arm.
Main Characters in this Episode
- Goof (continuity error): When Brass goes to Sabrina's house and Sabrina says the line "Can I help you?," Sabrina's hand goes from her hair to at her side in between shots.
- Goof (factual errors): After finding the hammer, they say that the tree grew around it and preserved the prints. However, this process would have taken months or years to occur. Until the hammer was encased by the tree it was exposed to bacteria, insects and all kinds of weather. This would have destroyed almost all traces of the fingerprints and made any kind of print match impossible. It would have also degraded any DNA in the blood and made any genetic match to the victim or suspect(s) impossible.
- Goof (factual errors): The tree in which the hammer is found is described as Quercus agrifolia and given the common name desert oak. Q. agrifolia is actually coast live oak and does not grow in Las Vagas. The tree shown in the show does not look like coast live oak.
- Goof (factual errors): The blood on the piece of glass would have degraded after 18 years, making any kind of DNA match impossible.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The CSIs take the license plate of the Dodge Super Bee from an old photo and attempt to locate it in their database. However, they enter the number in a field clearly labeled "Drivers License Number" in a section called "Driver Information" rather than in the adjacent field "License Plate Number" in the "Vehicle Information" section, both of which are visible in a closeup of the computer monitor.