Jan. 17th, 1980
Los Angeles, California, USA
Zooey Deschanel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Your Highness
2009 - Days of Summer
2008 - Yes Man
2008 - The Happening
2008 - Gigantic
2007 - Surf's Up
2007 - The Go-Getter
2007 - The Good Life
2007 - Flakes
2007 - Bridge to Terabithia
2007 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2006 - Failure to Launch
2006 - Live Free or Die
2005 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2005 - Winter Passing
2003 - All the Real Girls
2003 - Elf
2002 - The Good Girl
2002 - Abandon
2002 - The New Guy
2002 - Big Trouble
2001 - Manic
2000 - Almost Famous
1999 - Mumford
Guest TV Roles
Mary Spuckler (Voiced)
Herself - She & Him
Herself - Guest Judge
Herself - Musical Guest
Zooey Deschanel was born in 1980 into a showbiz family. Her father, Caleb Deschanel is an Academy Award-nominated cinematographer (perhaps most notably for The Passion of the Christ (2004)) and her mother, 'Mary Jo Deschanel' (n�e Weir) is an actress who starred in "Twin Peaks" (1990). Driven from an early age to become a successful actress, Zooey got her big break aged 17 playing a model in TV sitcom "Veronica's Closet" (1997). She got her first film role the following year in Mumford (1999), which prompted her to quit university to pursue acting full-time. Mostly thanks to a role in 'Cameron Crowe (I)'s popular biopic, Almost Famous (2000), Zooey's rise to fame has been steadily increasing as the 21st century wears on. Her distinctive acting style found her critical acclaim in 2003 when she was voted Best Actress at the Mar Del Plata Film Festival for her role in 'David Gordon Green's All the Real Girls (2003). She also gained a Best Female Lead nomination (for All the Real Girls (2003)) at the following year's Independent Spirit Awards, but lost out to 'Charlize Theron' .
Zooey is often compared to golden era Hollywood starlets and is also a talented singer. She has said in interviews that she believes her singing ability was pivotal in gaining the role of Jovie in Elf (2003). She also sang (and acted) in the Disney-produced musical, Once Upon a Mattress (2005) (TV).
- Engaged to 'Benjamin Gibbard' (qv) of 'Death Cab for Cutie' (qv) (December 2008).
- Interests include jazz singing, philosophy, fashion and photography.
- She pronounces her name "ZOH-ee" (not "zoo-ee").
- Ranked #95 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.
- Turned down a role in _Bully (2001)_ (qv) to star in _Big Trouble (2002)_ (qv).
- Is a big fan of actress 'Parker Posey' (qv).
- Her last name is pronounced "day-shuh-NELL", with "day" slightly more accented than the middle syllable.
- Named for the male character in 'J.D. Salinger' (qv)'s "Franny and Zooey".