Oct. 22nd, 1939
New York City, New York, USA
Tony Roberts' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1991 - Popcorn
1991 - Switch
1988 - 18 Again!
1987 - Radio Days
1986 - Hannah And Her Sisters
1983 - Amityville 3-D
1980 - Stardust Memories
1977 - Annie Hall
1973 - Serpico
1972 - Play It Again, Sam
1971 - The Million Dollar Duck
Guest TV Roles
Defense Attorney Lucas Pollard
Devon 'Sonny' Lane
(segment "Love and the Hotel Caper")
Versatility and ability to portray a variety of characters over four decades on stage, screen, and television have made Tony Roberts one of the busiest actors in America. He is a graduate of the High School of Music and Arts, which merged with the High School of Performing Arts to become LaGuardia High School for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center, where he majored in theater and studied acting with Alvina Krause. Tony is the son of Radio and Television announcer Ken Roberts (I), one of the founding members of AFTRA, and has himself served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Screen Actor's Guild and Actor's Equity Association. He is currently the President of Theatre Authority - an organization established by the entertainment unions to oversee benefit performances. Tony has appeared in dozens and dozens of films including Stardust Memories (1980), Star Spangled Girl (1971), The Million Dollar Duck (1971), The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974), Popcorn (1991), Amityville 3-D (1983), Key Exchange (1985), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), Radio Days (1987) and Switch (1991). His theater credits included "Sugar", "Don't Drink the Water", "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "South Pacific".
- Father of actress 'Nicole Roberts (II)' (qv).
- 'Tony Roberts (I)' (qv) was nominated for the 1969 Tony Award (New York City) for Supporting or Features Actor in a Drama for "Play It Again, Sam" for a role he recreated in the movie version.
- Was nominated for two Tony Awards in consecutive years: in 1968, as Best Actor (Musical) for "How Now Dow Jones" and in 1969 as Best Supporting or Featured Actor (Dramatic) for "Play It Again, Sam", a part he recreated in the film version of the same name, _Play It Again, Sam (1972)_ (qv).
- His favorite pastimes are chess, sailing and photography.
- Brother of 'Nancy Roberts (II)' (qv).
- Portrayed Olivia Benson's biological father in a deleted scene in the _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv) episode "Taken".
- Son of 'Ken Roberts (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb