Feb. 27th, 1957
Battersea, London, England, UK
Guest TV Roles
Detective Sergeant Baxter
Best known for his grimy, boorish, highly dysfunctional, often repugnant blue-collars particularly in Mike Leigh films, actor Timothy Spall was the son of a postal worker and a hairdresser. Raised in London, he auditioned and earned a spot with the National Youth Theatre and later showed great promise at RADA where he portrayed the title roles in "Macbeth" and "Othello." In 1979 he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company and stayed for approximately two years performing in "The Merry Wives of Windsor," "Cymbeline," "The Three Sisters" and "Nicholas Nickleby." In the early 80s he moved into TV roles with Leigh's "Home Sweet Home" and later had his own drama series "Frank Stubbs Promotes" in 1993. With Leigh, Timothy's appeared in a number of award-winning features, particularly Life Is Sweet (1991) and Secrets & Lies (1996), for which he earned a BAFTA Award nomination, and the Gilbert & Sullivan biopic Topsy-Turvy (1999). He also worked for noted directors Ken Russell (I) in Gothic (1986), Clint Eastwood in White Hunter Black Heart (1990), Bernardo Bertolucci in The Sheltering Sky (1990), and Kenneth Branagh in Hamlet (1996) as Rosenkrantz. A chronic illness curtailed his momentum in the mid-90s, coming back resourcefully on stage and TV. On a roll recently with more of his odd characterizations he lent his voice to the popular animated feature Chicken Run (2000) and appeared in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) as Peter Pettigrew, and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) as Mr. Poe.
- He and _Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)_ (qv) co-star 'Gary Oldman' (qv) have both played the character of Rosencrantz: Oldman in _Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990)_ (qv) and Spall in 'Kenneth Branagh' (qv)'s _Hamlet (1996)_ (qv).
- Has played a rat in two movies. He provided the voice of Nick the rat in _Chicken Run (2000)_ (qv) and as Ron Weasley's rat Scabbers in _Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)_ (qv).
- He graduated from RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London, England).
- Three children: Pascale (born 1976), 'Rafe Spall' (qv) (born 1983) and Mercedes (born 1985).
- He was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of British Empire) in the 2000 Queen's Millennium Honors List for his services to drama.
- He became an Associate Member of RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London, England).
- He was diagnosed with leukaemia in 1996 but is now recovered.
Related sites for this celeb