Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- The comic book character of John Constantine (Hellblazer), eventually featured in the Keanu Reeves movie, was designed to look like Sting, and, in fact, was created solely for the purpose of including a character who looks like Sting in the Swamp Thing comic. In one Swamp Thing issue, there's a boat called the USS Gordon Sumner.
- Attended Warwick University in Coventry, England but never graduated.
- His album with 'The Police' (qv), "Synchronicity", was the album that finally knocked 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv)'s "Thriller", the best selling album of all time, out of the number one spot it held for most of 1983.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6834 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Two of the songs he sang with The Police are also the titles of films starring 'Sandra Bullock' (qv): _Demolition Man (1993)_ (qv) and _Murder by Numbers (2002)_ (qv).
- Attended St. Cuthbert's Catholic High School in Newcastle, although at the time he went it was a Catholic grammar school. Other students have included TV presenter Declan Donnelly, Pet Shop Boys lead singer Neil Tennant, British Prisoner of War and journalist John Nichol as well as renowned architect Terry Farrell who designed the MI6 building overlooking the River Thames in London.
- His album "Nothing Like The Sun" won the British Phonographic Industry Award for British Album in 1988.
- He is a vegetarian.