Apr. 12th, 1971
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Shannen Doherty's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Burning Palms
2005 - Domino
2001 - Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
1997 - Nowhere
1995 - Mallrats
1994 - Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
1989 - Heathers
1985 - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
1982 - Night Shift
1982 - The Secret of NIMH
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Shannen Doherty was born in Memphis, Tennessee, USA, on April 12, 1971, to parents Tom and Rosa. Her father worked in a bank while her mother owned a beauty parlor. She has an older brother named Sean. In 1978 at the tender age of seven, she and her family moved to Los Angeles, where her father started a West Coast branch of the family transportation business. Shannen has always been close to her family, who disciplined her from a young age. She knew she wanted to pursue an acting career when she made her acting debut at age ten, with a role on the series "Father Murphy" (1981).
Shannen was a confident student, involving herself in school performances and working hard in school, by making sure she always had exceptional grades. Despite her confidence, she isolated herself from large crowds and preferred to have a few close friends. She made a name for herself as a child actress at just 11-years-old, starring in "Little House on the Prairie" (1974) as Jenny Wilder. It was Michael Landon (I) who noticed her performance in an episode of "Father Murphy" (1981), that he decided to cast her. She then went on to appear in "Our House" (1986) with Deidre Hall and Wilford Brimley. She also starred alongside Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt (I) in Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) and then in Heathers (1988), a teen comedy also starring Winona Ryder.
Her real success came in 1990, at the age of 19, when she was cast in Aaron Spelling's long-running hit series, "Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990) as Brenda Walsh, the twin sister of Brandon Walsh, played by Jason Priestley. She attracted media attention from the press and eventually made her a household name. The success of the popular teen drama appealed to young teenage girls who could relate to her character, Brenda Walsh. After four years, she left the show in 1994. Afterward, she continued her work in movies, starring in the thriller Almost Dead (1994) and the comedy Mallrats (1995).
During the fall of 1998, she reunited with long-time producer Aaron Spelling, when she was cast as Prue Halliwell on "Charmed" (1998), a show about three ordinary women who happen to be witches. She starred alongside Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs. After three years, she left the show to find work in movies. Before her departure from the show, she had directed three of the last episodes in which she starred. She continued her work in movies by starring in Another Day (2001) (TV), The Rendering (2002), Hell on Heels: The Battle of Mary Kay (2002) (TV), and Nightlight (2003) (TV). In 2003, she hosted season one of "Scare Tactics" (2003) as well as season two with only 8 episodes, and then left to pursue other endeavors.
In the fall of 2004, Shannen made her return to television on Fox's drama series "North Shore" (2004), where she played Alexandra Hudson, the long-lost sister of Nicole Booth, played by Brooke Burns. Eventually the show was canceled after one season. Then in 2005, she landed the role of Denise Johnson on the UPN series "Love, Inc." (2005), however after the pilot episode she was dropped from the sitcom. From there she has ventured into new projects and in 2006, she starred in her own reality series, "Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty" (2006).
- She earned a seven figure sum for posing in the December 2003 edition of Playboy.
- (12 June 2001) Sentenced to either 10 days in jail or 20 days of work-release duty, three years probation, and ordered to pay a $1500 fine for drunk-driving charges.
- Considered taking on the role of Bethany Sloane in _Dogma (1999)_ (qv).
- Offered a role in _Scream 3 (2000)_ (qv).
- Landed a second job as an art director for a California based magazine called, 'Pasadena' .
- Appeared several times partially nude in Playboy magazine, one image is December 1993, others in safer sex spread in March 1994. Later posed once again on the cover of Playboy in December 2003.
- On the special, _Beverly Hills 90210: 10-Year High School Reunion (2003) (TV)_ (qv) she revealed that the hardest thing about doing the show was pretending that 'Jason Priestley' (qv), whom she referred to as "being so hot", was her brother. She then revealed that, years later, people often approach her and ask her about the "weird incestuous vibe" between Brandon and Brenda, their characters. She said her response is always "Uh-huh, you better believe it!".
- Lives on a horse ranch in Ventura County, California