78 (passed away Nov. 17th, 2006)
Jan. 30th, 1928
Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
Ruth Brown's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2002 - Standing in the Shadows of Motown
1988 - Hairspray
1981 - Under the Rainbow
Guest TV Roles
[no bio found]
- A small-town Southern girl, she first started singing in churches and segregated USO shows.
- Won Broadway's 1989 Tony Award as Best Actress (Musical) for "Black and Blue," a performance she recreated in the television version of the same title, _Black and Blue (1993) (TV)_ (qv).
- Aunt of rapper Rakim.
- During the 1960s she drift away from her career to become a housewife and mother, and only returned to music in 1975 at the urging of 'Redd Foxx (I)' (qv), followed by a series of TV and film outings.
- In the 1960s, after three disastrous marriages, her career flagged and was forced to support herself and her two sons as a teacher's aid, a bus driver and a housekeeper.
- Was scheduled to film "Honeydripper" with Danny Glover at the time of her death.
- Order of marriages (first to last): Brown, Swanson, Blunt.
- She had a Top 25 hit on the US Pop charts in 1957 - 'Lucky Lips' on Atlantic Records.
Related sites for this celeb