Sep. 5th, 1973
Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Rose McGowan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Red Sonja
2007 - Death Proof
2007 - Grindhouse
2007 - Planet Terror
2006 - The Black Dahlia
2001 - Monkeybone
2000 - Ready to Rumble
1999 - Jawbreaker
1998 - Phantoms
1997 - Lewis & Clark & George
1997 - Nowhere
1996 - Scream
1996 - Bio-Dome
1995 - The Doom Generation
1992 - Encino Man
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest Judge
Born September 5, 1973, to Terri and Daniel McGowan (both of French and Irish origin, respectively), Rose Arianna McGowan is the second eldest of six siblings. She was raised, until the age of nine, within the Italian chapter of the Children of God; an extremist Christian, anti-American cult.
During the early 1980s, her family severed ties with the community and migrated to Eugene, Oregon, USA. Following her parents divorce, Rose relocated to Gig Harbour, Washington, to live with her grandmother. At age 14, McGowan was falsely accused of drug abuse by a family friend and committed to drug rehabilitation. She has consistently maintained that the decision was unjustified, and detrimental to her mental health. Upon release, she spent a year as a disadvantaged youth before legally declaring independence from her family at age 15. Her early formal education includes attendance at Roosevelt High School and Nova Alternative High School. Further education includes a stint at UCLA, and qualifications as a licensed beauty operator.
McGowan's career as an actor sincerely began in 1995, with a leading role in The Doom Generation (1995). Originally intended for Jordan Ladd, the character of "Amy Blue" was awarded to McGowan, whose presence outside a gym captured the eye of an associate of director Gregg Araki. For her performance, she was nominated at the 1995 Independant Spirit Awards for Best Debut Performance. Subsequently cast in Wes Craven's Scream (1996/I), she experienced further success when the project defied expectations to became one of the highest grossing films of the year.
The innovative, yet soft-sounding, career of McGowan was overshadowed throughout much of the 1990s by her high-profile relationship with musician Brian Warner (aka Marilyn Manson. Strong performances in Going All the Way (1997), Lewis & Clark & George (1997), Southie (1998), and Jawbreaker (1999) were largely unseen by the general public, who favored mean-spirited tabloid blurbs over her creative exploits. When the relationship ended between the two in 2001, she remarked: "There is great love, but our lifestyle difference is, unfortunately, even greater."
Immediately, the quality of McGowan's roles further improved. She performed solidly alongside Alan Alda in The Killing Yard (2001) (TV), shone with Robert Forster (I) in Strange Hearts (2001), and was appropriately demure in "Stealing Bess" (aka Vacuums (2002)). She was introduced to the mainstream as "Paige Matthews" in Aaron Spelling's "Charmed" (1998), a popular television show for which she devoted five consecutive years. When "Charmed" finished its run in 2006, McGowan emerged in top form. Critics praised her efforts in Robert Rodriguez (I)'s Planet Terror (2007), Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof (2007), and her turn as "Grace Sterrin" in Fifty Dead Men Walking (2008) exemplified her potential as a leading dramatic actress.
At the time of writing, McGowan and director Robert Rodriguez (I) are due to be wed. Her upcoming projects include the fantasy epic Red Sonja (2010) .
- A tattoo of a woman on her right shoulder has been surgically removed.
- Has agoraphobia and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
- Played the character Tatum Riley in _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv), best friend of Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), her character Paige Matthews lives at 1329 Prescott Street, the address of Halliwell Manor on _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv).
- Met boyfriend 'Robert Rodriguez (I)' (qv) when he directed her in _Planet Terror (2007)_ (qv).
- (18 January 2001) She and 'Marilyn Manson' (qv) announced that they were splitting up.
- Asked to have the stripper pole sanitized before doing her go-go dance routine in _Planet Terror (2007)_ (qv).
- (April 2008) Broke her left foot after running into the edge of a doorway made of stone.
- She won the role of Tatum Riley in _Scream (1996/I)_ (qv) after 'Melinda Clarke' (qv) turned it down. Coincidentally, the two would later work together when Clarke guest starred on _"Charmed" (1998)_ (qv) in October 2002.