70 (passed away Sep. 17th, 1984)
Aug. 31st, 1914
Zanesville, Ohio, USA
Richard Basehart's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1979 - Being There
1977 - The Island of Dr. Moreau
1976 - Mansion of the Doomed
1972 - Chato's Land
1965 - The Satan Bug
1960 - Portrait in Black
1958 - The Brothers Karamazov
1957 - Time Limit
1956 - Moby Dick
1955 - Il bidone
1954 - La Strada
1953 - Titanic
1951 - The House on Telegraph Hill
1951 - Fixed Bayonets!
1951 - Decision Before Dawn
1949 - Reign of Terror
1949 - Tension
1948 - He Walked by Night
1947 - Repeat Performance
Guest TV Roles
Narrator - Opening Titles (Voiced)
Richard Basehart came to Hollywood in 1947, after beginning an acting career on Broadway. He made his mark in the gritty film-noir classic He Walked by Night (1948), among others, and proved his versatility in several international productions, most notably in Federico Fellini's poignant masterpiece La strada (1954).
- Was understandably distraught when his second wife (Italian actress 'Valentina Cortese' (qv)) left him and moved back to Italy with their young son. Close friend 'Warren Stevens' (qv), concerned for Basehart's well-being, got him an apartment adjoining his own. For months Basehart had a standing phone call in to Italy, but Valentina never answered it. When Basehart finally filed for divorce Stevens was on hand to serve as his witness.
- On asking 'Federico Fellini' (qv) as to why Fellini wanted him for the role of the Fool in _La strada (1954)_ (qv), Fellini answered: "Because if you did what you did in _Fourteen Hours (1951)_ (qv), you can do anything.".
- When he heard that that director 'Bretaigne Windust' (qv) wanted an authentic Scotsman for the lead role in The Hasty Heart, Basehart managed to effect a very convincing burr and won the part. For his portrayal of Cpl. MacLachlan, Basehart also went on to win the 1945 New York Critic's Award as the most promising actor of the year.
- In the televised play _Valley Forge (1975) (TV)_ (qv), Basehart played George Washington, and his arch-enemy General Howe was played by actor 'Harry Andrews' (qv). Andrews had previously played Stubb, the first mate, in the film version of _Moby Dick (1956)_ (qv), in which Basehart had played Ishmael.
- He and his wife Diana were the founders of the organization, Actors and Others for Animals, in 1971. They had been driving on a freeway and were appalled when someone threw a cat onto the freeway from a vehicle in front of them. It was too late for that animal, but they vowed to make things different in the future for others.
- Died of a series of strokes shortly completing narration for the closing ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.
- Father of 'Jackie Basehart' (qv).
- Father of Make-Up Artist 'Gayla Basehart' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb