Portia de Rossi
Jan. 31st, 1973
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Portia de Rossi's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Cursed
1999 - Stigmata
1997 - Scream 2
Guest TV Roles
Portia de Rossi was born and raised in Geelong, Australia. Originally born Mandy Rogers, at 15, she changed her name to Portia, saying that it was the most daring thing she had ever done up until that point. After graduating from high school, she attended the University of Melbourne, and studied law. Although she studied diligently, in 1993, Portia found herself giving special notice to a casting director who had seen her in a commercial, and she soon after auditioned for Sirens (1993), a low budget comedy, starring Hugh Grant (I). She was cast in the role of Giddy, one of the three gorgeous models in the movie. It wasn't until 1997, however, that Portia at last began to attract real attention. She turned an unforgettable role as Murphy in Scream 2 (1997), and in 1998, she joined the cast of "Ally McBeal" (1997) as the "Ice Queen", Nelle Porter. She has also worked on such projects as Stigmata (1999), Girl (1998), and The Invisibles (1999), and she has appeared on several magazine covers, including Sharpe. After more than a decade of hard work, Portia is finally beginning to win real recognition, not only for her long golden tresses, but also for her wonderful talent.
- Got her role in _Who Is Cletis Tout? (2001)_ (qv) after 'Sarah Michelle Gellar' (qv) turned it down.
- Got the role of Nell Porter on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) after 'Vanessa Marcil' (qv) was forced to turn it down, due to signing on to _"Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990)_ (qv).
- Shares a birthday with _"Arrested Development" (2003)_ (qv) costar 'Jessica Walter (I)' (qv).
- Her wedding with 'Ellen DeGeneres' (qv) on August 16, 2008, took place at their house in Beverly Hills, California, and was attended by her mother and brother and by Ellen's parents.
- Shares a birthday with her grandmother, who was born in 1907.
- Longtime romantic partner of comic 'Ellen DeGeneres' (qv).
- Sang backing vocals on now ex-girlfriend's 'Francesca Gregorini' (qv)'s album "Sequel" (2003).