89 (passed away Feb. 5th, 2011)
Mar. 31st, 1921
Peggy Rea's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1995 - Devil in a Blue Dress
1993 - Made in America
1989 - Curfew
1989 - In Country
1971 - Cold Turkey
1971 - What's the Matter with Helen?
1967 - Valley of the Dolls
1966 - Walk Don't Run
1964 - 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
Guest TV Roles
Peggy Jane Rea (March 31, 1921 – February 5, 2011) was an American character actress known for her many roles in television, often playing matronly characters. Rea left UCLA to attend business school, landing a job as a production secretary at MGM in the 1940s.
Career She appeared in such television programs as I Love Lucy, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Sergeant Bilko, Ironside, Burke's Law, Marcus Welby, M.D., Hunter, The Odd Couple, Gidget, MacGyver, The Dukes of Hazzard (as Lulu Coltrane Hogg) and The Golden Girls.
She appeared in feature films, including Cold Turkey and In Country. She joined the cast of The Waltons in 1979, her character brought in to fill the void created by a the departures several key cast members; she remained on that show through its 1981 cancellation. She was a regular on the sitcom Grace Under Fire during the 1990s.
- One of Lucy's original "Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League" members on the classic _"I Love Lucy" (1951)_ (qv) episodes.
- Played in 'Anthony Quinn (I)' (qv)'s National Road Company production of "A Streetcar Named Desire" for 2-1/2 years.
- Musical comedy experience with 'Cole Porter' (qv)'s "Out of This World" and the revue "Lend an Ear".
- Hearty, happy, plumpish, matronly character actress mainly scored in light TV offerings, and best known for playing Rose Burton on _"The Waltons" (1972)_ (qv), Lulu Hogg on _"The Dukes of Hazzard" (1979)_ (qv) and the mother-in-law on _"Grace Under Fire" (1993)_ (qv).
- Former saleslady and MGM secretary to 'Arthur Freed' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb