Sep. 26th, 1948
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, UK
Olivia Newton-John's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2002 - The Guru
1996 - It's My Party
1991 - Madonna: Truth or Dare
1988 - She's Having a Baby
1983 - Two of a Kind
1980 - Xanadu
1978 - Grease
Guest TV Roles
Actress/singer Olivia Newton-John was born on September 26, 1948, in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. She lived there until she was five years old, and her family relocated to Australia when her father was offered a job as the dean of a college in Melbourne. When she was a teen she returned to live in England with her mother, after winning a singing talent contest. She had many hit singles and appeared on TV series with Cliff Richard as well as in the film Toomorrow (1970). For a while she was engaged to Bruce Welch, a member of The Shadows, who backed Richard.
Olivia took the advice of a friend, and in the mid-'70s left Britain to take up residence in America to help further her singing career.
- Her winning of a talent contest in Australia led her back to England and on her path as a successful singer, performer and actress.
- Ranked #95 on VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll
- Daughter of Brinley Newton-John and Irene Born.
- In 1975, she moved to the USA where she had already become well-established as a pop and country singer.
- Aunt of actress 'Tottie Goldsmith' (qv).
- She was awarded an O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1979 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to the performing arts.
- (1992) Underwent surgery for breast cancer, she declared bankruptcy, and her father died of liver cancer.
- She currently has homes in both the USA and Australia.