Jul. 4th, 1962
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK
Neil Morrissey's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Clubbed
1984 - The Bounty
Guest TV Roles
Neil Morrissey first hit the big time when he played Rocky (no, not the boxer) in ITV's drama Boon. A bigger role was to come along in the form of Tony in sitcom Men Behaving Badly. The show had actually already gained success and the role of Tony was created to fill the gap left by Harry Enfield's character Dermot. The tabloids loved reporting on the 'romance' between Neil and his co-star Leslie Ash. They were the UK's answer to Ross and Rachel and we didn't even know it! Well, minus the Hollywood glamour. The pair signed up to be the faces of DIT store Homebase to capitalise on their success.
More recently it's actually Neil's voice which has really made him a bigger success than he ever was on screen. He's the voice of Bob the Builder, the hugely popular children's character. Neil has therefore scored a Christmas number 1 single in the UK back in 2000 (you know, the time before The X Factor ruined the excitement) when Bob the Builder's 'Can We Fix It?' song hit the top spot.
Neil provides the narration for the children's shows Morph and Maisy. They're not a couple, buy the way. Morph has his own show. And so does Maisy. In fact we don't even think they've met before. Hmm.
Neil popped up in E4's brilliant drama Skins in 2007 playing Cassie's father. He's also been a guest star on Neighbours (which nobody seems to care about now it's moved to Five) playing the priest who remarries Susan and Karl on a boat in the river Thames. We didn't see it ourselves but it sounds like absolute genius!
Neil's still cracking out good drama roles, most recently on the BBC's Waterloo Road where he played deputy head teacher Eddie Lawson.
The tabloids had a field day when it was claimed Neil was having an affair with Amanda Holden, who was married to Les Dennis.
- Was considered as a replacement for Michael Praed when Praed left the TV series Robin of Sherwood, but lost out to Jason Connery.
- Was engaged to actress 'Elizabeth Carling' (qv) whom he met when they worked on _"Boon" (1986)_ (qv).
- [August 2009] When a catering and property company that he owns became insolvent, he entered into an individual voluntary agreement to pay back his creditors from his earnings over the following three years, rather than declare himself bankrupt which would have resulted in his creditors getting very little of their money back.
- Son, Tom (born 1989), with 'Amanda Noar' (qv).
- (1998) Dating 'Rachel Weisz' (qv) after starring together in _My Summer with Des (1998) (TV)_ (qv).
- Graduated from Guildhall School of Music and Drama in 1983.
- He and his younger brother were put into a children's home when the courts decided that their parents could no longer look after them. In his teens he advertised on his school noticeboard for a foster family to look after them.
Related sites for this celeb