Apr. 23rd, 1967
Akron, Ohio, USA
Melina Kanakaredes' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
2001 - 15 Minutes
1998 - Dangerous Beauty
1998 - Rounders
1996 - The Long Kiss Goodnight
Guest TV Roles
A.D.A. Marilyn Crenshaw
Melina Kanakaredes starred for five seasons as Dr. Sydney Hansen on the NBC-TV critically acclaimed series "Providence" (1999). For her performance, Melina received the 2000 TV Guide Award for Favorite Actress in a Drama (as voted by more than one million TV viewers) and was nominated for the same award in 2001. In 2003, she gave birth to her second child, took to the stage as Sally Bowles in the Broadway play Cabaret and shot the indie film Into the Fire (2005) (TV) which will debut at the 2004 Tribecca Film Festival. In the fall of 2004, she will return to television in the much anticipated CBS series "CSI: NY" (2004) opposite Gary Sinise.
In 2001 she appeared on the big screen co-starring opposite Robert De Niro in the film 15 Minutes (2001). Other film credits include Rounders (1998), Dangerous Beauty (1998) and The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996). In the same year, she became a celebrity spokesperson for Maybelline as featured in their national television and print campaigns.
Melina Kanakaredes is a second-generation Greek-American who was born and raised in Akron, Ohio. Her love of musical theater, especially the work of Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera, inspired her as a child. She began performing locally; singing with her sisters and making her acting debut at age eight in the community theater production of "Tom Sawyer."
Kanakaredes attended Ohio State University to study music, dance and theater, later transferring to Point Park College in Pittsburgh. She appeared in commercials, industrial films and on stage in the Pittsburgh Playhouse and Pittsburgh Public Theater. Upon graduation, Kanakaredes moved to New York City where she supported her acting dreams by working in off-Broadway plays.
Kanakaredes' previous television credits include a recurring role as Jimmy Smits' reporter-girlfriend in "NYPD Blue" (1993). She starred in the drama series New York New and "Leaving L.A." (1997) and guest-starred on "The Practice" (1997) and "Oz" (1997). She also received two Emmy nominations for her work on ""The Guiding Light" (1952).
Away from the set, Kanakaredes enjoys, reading, swimming, working out with the Pilates system, traveling (especially to Greece), listening to James Taylor, and is a sports fan of the Cleveland Indians and Chicago Bulls. She lives with her family in Los Angeles.
- Competed in Synchronized Swimming while at Ohio State, famous for its college Synchronized Swimming program.
- While most of the _"CSI: NY" (2004)_ (qv) cast is from New York, Kanakaredes is one of three exceptions. The others are 'Gary Sinise' (qv) (who was born in Illinois) and 'Anna Belknap' (qv) (who was born in Maine).
- Is currently one of the stars on _"CSI: NY" (2004)_ (qv), which was introduced in the _"CSI: Miami" (2002)_ (qv) cross-over episode "MIA/NYC Nonstop." "Miami" star 'David Caruso (I)' (qv) was a popular cast member of _"NYPD Blue" (1993)_ (qv), a series in which Melina made numerous guest appearances.
- Graduated From Point Park College In Pittsburgh.
- Her husband, Peter, is a chef and restaurateur.
- Graduated magna cum laude with a BFA in theatre from Point Park College in Pittsburgh. Family owns and runs a candy factory in Akron.
- Was considered for the lead for _My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)_ (qv), but was pregnant at the time.
- Graduated from Firestone High School in Akron, Ohio.