Jul. 22nd, 1934
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
5' 9 1/2
Louise Fletcher's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Genesis Code
2007 - The Last Sin Eater
2005 - Aurora Borealis
2003 - A Decade Under the Influence
2000 - Silver Man
1999 - Cruel Intentions
1997 - Breast Men
1997 - Gone Fishin'
1996 - Frankenstein and Me
1996 - Mulholland Falls
1996 - 2 Days in the Valley
1996 - High School High
1995 - Virtuosity
1994 - On Deadly Ground
1992 - The Player
1989 - Best of the Best
1988 - Two Moon Junction
1987 - Flowers in the Attic
1987 - Predator: The Concert
1986 - The Boy Who Could Fly
1986 - Invaders from Mars
1984 - Firestarter
1983 - Strange Invaders
1983 - Brainstorm
1981 - Strange Behavior
1979 - The Lady in Red
1978 - The Cheap Detective
1977 - Exorcist II: The Heretic
1975 - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
1974 - Thieves Like Us
Guest TV Roles
Roberta 'Birdie' Chadwick
Born in Birmingham, Alabama, to Episcopal minister Robert Fletcher and his wife Estelle, both of whom were deaf, Louise Fletcher was introduced to performing at a young age by the aunt who taught her to speak. After graduating from the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, she took a trip out west with her roommates, finding herself in Los Angeles without enough money to return home. She took a temporary job as a receptionist and signed up for acting classes at night. Soon she was working regularly in television and film, but after marrying producer Jerry Bick and having two sons, the actress took a long hiatus to raise her children.
Returning to work in 1974 in Robert Altman (I)'s Thieves Like Us (1974), Fletcher came to the attention of director Milos Forman, who was casting the difficult role of the nurse in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). She won the role -- and then the Academy Award -- portraying deadly, inflexible Nurse Ratched, who has since become a cultural icon. Numerous film roles followed, including co-starring turns with Peter Falk (I) in The Cheap Detective (1978) and with Richard Burton (I) in Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977). Fletcher has appeared in a number of science fiction and horror classics such as Firestarter (1984), Brainstorm (1983), and Flowers in the Attic (1987).
Though she earned an Emmy Award nomination for her recurring role on "Picket Fences" (1992), Fletcher is perhaps best known to recent television audiences as Kai Winn from "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993) and as Nora Bloom from the cult classic "VR.5" (1995).
- After her divorce from producer 'Jerry Bick' (qv) in the late 1970s she caused a stir when she, then in her 40s, began dating 21-year-old 'Morgan Mason' (qv), the son of actor 'James Mason (I)' (qv).
- Her Oscar-winning role as Nurse Ratched in _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)_ (qv) was ranked #5 in the American Film Institute's Villains list in their 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villains.
- 'Lily Tomlin' (qv)'s role in 'Robert Altman (I)' (qv)'s _Nashville (1975)_ (qv) was originally written for, and in part by, Fletcher, whose then-husband had been Altman's producer. When the two men had a falling-out, Altman chose to cast Tomlin instead.
- One of the other Best Actress nominees in 1976 was 'Ann-Margret' (qv), who was nominated for her role _Tommy (1975)_ (qv). Coincidentally, both films featured 'Jack Nicholson' (qv).
- She was in several scenes that were later deleted from 'Sergio Leone (I)' (qv)'s _Once Upon a Time in America (1984)_ (qv).
- Learned sign language at a very young age, as both of her parents were deaf.
- Was cited for reckless driving in 2000 when she slammed into a police car near her Virginia home.
- Was a leading choice to play the mother in _Terms of Endearment (1983)_ (qv).
Related sites for this celeb