74 (passed away Jun. 29th, 1995)
Feb. 8th, 1921
Wallace, Idaho, USA
Lana Turner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1985 - That's Dancing!
1982 - Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
1966 - Madame X
1960 - Portrait in Black
1959 - Imitation of Life
1958 - Another Time, Another Place
1957 - Peyton Place
1953 - The Bad and The Beautiful
1951 - Mr. Imperium
1949 - The Stratton Story
1948 - The Three Musketeers
1946 - The Postman Always Rings Twice
1943 - Du Barry Was a Lady
1941 - Ziegfeld Girl
1941 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
1941 - Johnny Eager
1938 - Love Finds Andy Hardy
1937 - Topper
Guest TV Roles
Lana Turner had an acting ability that belied the "Sweater Girl" image MGM thrust upon her, and even many of her directors admitted that they knew she was capable of greatness (check out The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)). Unfortunately, her private life - seven marriages, affairs almost too numerous to mention, a long bout with alcoholism and the famous incident where her gangster lover, Johnny Stompanato, was killed by her daughter, Cheryl Crane - came to overshadow her professional accomplishments.
- Is portrayed by 'Brenda Bakke' (qv) in _L.A. Confidential (1997)_ (qv)
- Sister-in-law of 'Daniel Topping' (qv) during her marriage to his brother, Henry Topping.
- Campaigned for 'Franklin Delano Roosevelt' (qv) in the 1944 presidential election.
- Was replaced by Margaret Leighton in the role of Caddy Compson in The Sound and the Fury (1959).
- Once when she was being interviewed by 'Hedda Hopper' (qv), 'Lex Barker (I)' (qv), Lana's future husband, was in the same room. There was a large vase of flowers blocking her view of Lex, so Lana got up, walked across the room and removed them, remarking, "He's brand new and I want to look at him!"
- One daughter: 'Cheryl Crane' (qv) (fathered by Steve Crane).
- Is one of the many movie stars mentioned in 'Madonna' (qv)'s song "Vogue"
- Was considered for the role of Maggie Pollitt in _Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)_ (qv), which was eventually given to 'Elizabeth Taylor (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb