Feb. 18th, 1954
Englewood, New Jersey, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - John Travolta
John Travolta first gained fame as the swaggering Vinnie Barbarino on the television series "Welcome Back, Kotter" (1975). In 1977, he parlayed his teeny-bopper fame into a big-screen career with the disco blockbuster Saturday Night Fever (1977). He languished in light dramas and television movies in the 1980s, but started a comeback in 1989 with Look Who's Talking (1989). He further resuscitated his career with an Oscar nomination for his role as a heavyset sympathetic hitman in Pulp Fiction (1994) in 1994.
- His best female friend is 'Kirstie Alley' (qv).
- Is 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv)'s favorite movie star.
- [2 April 2007] On his return flight from Germany to New York, the actor was forced to make an emergency landing in his Boeing 707 at Ireland's Shannon Airport. He'd been promoting his new movie in Europe and encountered technical difficulties on his return flight. Fortunately for the actor, he was flying over Ireland at the time he first detected his private jet's engine problems and was safely diverted to Shannon on Ireland's west coast. Not allowing himself to be fazed by the whole ordeal, Travolta grounded his 34-seater and continued his flight home on a commercial airline.
- Ranked #3 in TV Guide's list of "TV's 25 Greatest Teen Idols" (23 January 2005 issue).
- He lost 20 pounds for his role in _Saturday Night Fever (1977)_ (qv).
- Did yoga and boxing to cut his love handles for the film _Swordfish (2001)_ (qv).
- Got the role of Vincent Vega in _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv) primarily because 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv), the actor whom the part was written for, was unavailable due to a prior film commitment. Vincent was the brother of 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv)'s character Vic Vega (AKA: Mr. Blonde in _Reservoir Dogs (1992)_ (qv)) and the role jump-started his career after a long slump.
- One of his closest friends is 'Robin Williams (I)' (qv).