81 (passed away Aug. 28th, 1987)
Aug. 5th, 1906
Nevada, Missouri, USA
John Huston's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1986 - Momo
1985 - The Black Cauldron
1982 - Annie
1982 - Cannery Row
1979 - Winter Kills
1979 - Wise Blood
1975 - The Wind and the Lion
1975 - Breakout
1974 - Chinatown
1973 - Battle for the Planet of the Apes
1972 - The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
1971 - Man in the Wilderness
1970 - The Kremlin Letter
1970 - Myra Breckinridge
1968 - Candy
1966 - The Bible: In the Beginning...
1963 - The Cardinal
1963 - The List of Adrian Messenger
1962 - Freud
1961 - The Misfits
1956 - Moby Dick
1948 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
1943 - Report from the Aleutians
Guest TV Roles
John Huston was a man of many interests - painting, boxing, sculpture, gambling, fox-hunting, etc. He had four children: Tony and Angelica (with Ricki Soma), Danny (with another woman), and Allegra (Ricki with another man, but Huston raised the girl after Ricki died in a car crash). Huston wrote a somewhat sanitized autobiography in 1980 (friends who read it said, "Good book, John - who's it about?").
- Is one of the few people to receive at least one Oscar nomination in five consecutive decades (1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s).
- Although not diagnosed with emphysema until 1978, it is widely believed he was already developing the lung disease while directing _The Misfits (1961)_ (qv), following decades of heavy smoking.
- At one time he kept a pet monkey. His wife of the time, 'Evelyn Keyes' (qv), became fed up with the noise and the mess and told Huston that either she or the monkey would have to leave. "Honey," replied Huston, "it's you!"
- Although Huston was often described as being 6' 4" tall, his actual measured height at his peak was 6' 2".
- Accidentally struck and killed a Hollywood dancer, Tosca Roulien, while driving on Sunset Boulevard on September 25, 1933. 'Walter Huston' (qv) appealed to MGM studio boss 'Louis B. Mayer' (qv) to use his influence with the LAPD regarding any questions of alcohol being involved. A subsequent inquest absolved Huston of any blame for the accident.
- Appears in _The Return of the King (1980) (TV)_ (qv), which was remade as _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) with 'Sean Astin' (qv). Astin's father 'John Astin' (qv) appeared in _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv) television series, playing Gomez Addams. The Addams Family films starred 'Anjelica Huston' (qv) as Gomez' wife Morticia.
- Father-in-law of 'Pat Delaney (I)' (qv).
- Is portrayed by 'William Frankfather' (qv) in _This Year's Blonde (1980) (TV)_ (qv).