Jan. 5th, 1967
Los Angeles, California, USA
Joe Flanigan's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2003 - Thoughtcrimes
1999 - The Other Sister
Guest TV Roles
Dr. David Marcus
Dr. Tom Arquette
FBI Agent John Ash
Det. Claude Morton
Lt. Colonel John Sheppard
After graduation, Joe Flanigan pursued a writing career. He worked on Capitol Hill and then briefly for several New York City publications, including 'Town and Country' and 'Interview' magazine. On the advice of some of his friends, he studied at the Neighborhood Playhouse, was coached by Gerald Gordon, and then moved back to Los Angeles in 1994 to pursue an acting career. Joe Flanigan had guest roles in numerous television series including 'Profiler', 'First Monday', and 'Sisters', until he got his breakthrough with his role on 'Stargate Atlantis' as Lt. Colonel John Sheppard, the military leader of the Atlantis Expedition. He lives in Vancouver, Canada, where the series is filmed during the week, and flies to Los Angeles, California during the weekends where his wife and children reside. He continues to write, and created the stories for the second season episode 'Epiphany' and the fourth season 'Outcast'. Joe also appears in Brooks Institute photographer John Russo's book 'About Face'. Part of the proceeds are to be donated to Smile Train.
- Graduate of University of Colorado, major in history.
- He was tapped for the lead in the NBC pilot _Sherman's March (2000) (TV)_ (qv).
- Joe and his wife welcomed a third son in September 2006.
- When he was a child, his mother remarried, he was adopted by his step father and took his last name, Flanigan.
- Favorite foods include Chinese, Indian, French, Italian, Japanese, Thai etc.
- Wife, 'Katherine Kousi' (qv), is a painter.
- Is a very good skier, proved by the fact he won two prizes at the Waterkeepers' Alliance event in Lake Louise in January 2006.
- Shares his birthday with his _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv) co-star 'Paul McGillion' (qv).