Jan. 19th, 1923
New York City, New York, USA
Jean Stapleton's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1998 - You've Got Mail
1996 - Michael
1971 - Cold Turkey
1971 - Klute
1967 - Up the Down Staircase
1960 - Bells Are Ringing
Guest TV Roles
Lady Emily Farnsworth
Mrs. Flora Davis
Aunt Mary Kosky
Cousin of Betty Jane Watson. Other relatives in show business were her uncle Joseph E. Deming, a vaudevillian; and her brother Jack Stapleton, a stage actor. Her parents were Joseph E. Murray (a billboard advertising salesman) and Marie Stapleton Murray (a singer). Graduated from Wadleigh High School, NYC, 1939; attended Hunter College. Worked as a secretary before becoming an actress. Made her stage debut at the Greenwood Playhouse, Peaks Island, Maine, in the summer of 1941. Made her New York stage debut in "The Corn Is Green" (1948). Appeared on Broadway in the musicals "Damn Yankees" (1955) and "Bells Are Ringing" (1956), and later repeated her roles in the movie versions (Damn Yankees! (1958), Bells Are Ringing (1960)). Other Broadway roles include the original companies of "Rhinoceros" (1961) and "Funny Girl" (1964). She also played Abby Brewster in the 1986-87 revival of "Arsenic and Old Lace".
- Ran Totem Pole Playhouse, a Summerstock Theatre, in Caledonia State Park, outside Chambersburg, PA. Her husband was from the area. She and her children still visit frequently.
- In an episode of the courtroom drama series The Defenders in: "The Hidden Jungle" aired 1st December 1962, an unknown actress at this time, she played a woman who witnessed a murder. In the episode, while on the witness stand, she is asked to point out the murderer. The actor playing the murderer was another unknown named 'Carroll O'Connor' (qv), who later starred with her in _"All in the Family" (1971)_ (qv).
- Turned down the role of Charlie's mother in _Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)_ (qv) in order to take the part of Edith Bunker on _"All in the Family" (1971)_ (qv).
- Best remembered by the public for her role as Edith Bunker on All in the Family (1971).
- Is a favorite of playwright 'Horton Foote' (qv), for whom she has acted in numerous plays, most recently "The Carpetbagger's Children" at Lincoln Center (Closed June 2002).
- Was offered the role of Mrs. TeeVee on _Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)_ (qv), but turned it down to work on the pilot of _"All in the Family" (1971)_ (qv).
- Received an honorary degree from Wilson College and has a scholarship named after her.
- Mother of actor 'John Putch' (qv) and actress 'Pamela Putch' (qv).