Mar. 1st, 1969
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
Javier Bardem's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles2010 - Eat, Pray, Love
2008 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2007 - Love in the Time of Cholera
2006 - Goya's Ghosts
2004 - Collateral
2002 - The Dancer Upstairs
2002 - Los Lunes Al Sol
2000 - Before Night Falls
1999 - Entre las piernas
1997 - Perdita Durango
1997 - Airbag
1997 - Live Flesh
1993 - Huevos de oro
1992 - Jamón, jamón
Guest TV Roles
Javier Bardem is the youngest member of a family of actors that has been making films since the early days of Spanish cinema.He got his start in the family business at age six when he appeared in his first feature, "El Pícaro" (The Scoundrel). During his teenage years he acted in several TV series, played rugby for theSpanish National Team, and toured the country with an independent theatrical group. Javier's early film role as a sexy stud in the black comedy_Jamón, jamón (1992)_ (Ham Ham) propelled him to instant popularity and threatened to typecast him as nothing morethan a brawny sex symbol. Determined to avert a beefcake image, he refused similar subsequent roles and has gone on to win acclaim for his ability to appear almost unrecognizable from film to film. With over 25 movies and numerous awards under his belt, it is Javier's stirring, passionate performance as the persecuted Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas in Before Night Falls (2000) that will longbe remembered as his breakthrough role. He received five Best Actor awards and a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his portrayal of a strong-willed man who survived censorship, imprisonment, and homosexual intolerance for the privilege to write freely, only to commit suicide at age 47 in New York, ending a battle with AIDS.
- Played rugby union as a teen and was on the Spanish National Team.
- Javier's original interest was in painting, and he studied at Madrid's Escuela de Artes y Oficios. Eventually, deciding he'd never be a talented painter, he drifted into a number of odd jobs, working as a bouncer, a writer, a construction worker, and even a stripper.
- Brother of 'Carlos Bardem' (qv) and 'Mónica Bardem' (qv).
- Has four Goya Awards (the Spanish equivalent of the Oscar).
- Says in interviews that he doesn't know how to drive.
- Very good friends with 'Penélope Cruz' (qv).
- His Best Actor nomination for _Before Night Falls (2000)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to receive an Academy Award nomination and his Best Supporting Actor victory for _No Country for Old Men (2007)_ (qv) made him the first Spanish actor to win an Academy Award.
- Beat out 'Johnny Depp' (qv) for the role of Florentino Ariza in _Love in the Time of Cholera (2007)_ (qv).