Dec. 8th, 1978
Covington, Louisiana, USA
5' 9 1/2"
Ian Somerhalder's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - TV: The Movie
2010 - How to Make Love to a Woman
2009 - The Tournament
2004 - In Enemy Hands
2002 - The Rules of Attraction
2001 - Life as a House
1998 - Celebrity
Guest TV Roles
Tony Del Nagro
The son of a massage therapist and a building contractor, Somerhalder was born and raised in the small southern town of Covington, LA. Boating, swimming, fishing and training horses filled much of his recreational time growing up, as did the school drama club and performing with the local theater group. With his mother's encouragement, at age 10 he began a modeling career that took him to New York each summer. By junior high, he opted to put modeling on the back burner and focus more on sports and school. A few years later, when the opportunity to model in Europe arose, Somerhalder grabbed it, embarking on an enriching path of work, travel and study that took him to cities including Paris, Milan and London. At 17, he began studying acting in New York, and by 19 had committed himself to the craft, working with preeminent acting coach William Esper. His fate was sealed while working as an extra in a club scene in the feature film _Black & White(1999)_. A talent manager visiting a client on the set spotted Somerhalder in a crowd scene of 400 and immediately signed him for representation. Happy to be anchored in New York, Somerhalder spends much of his time studying acting, writing and practicing yoga. His recreational interests include water and snow skiing and horseback riding.
- The surname "Somerhalder" originates from his adoptive great-grandfather. His biological great-grandfather, a wealthy English landowner, got one of his mistresses pregnant and paid an immigrant worker of his to marry this woman and give the baby a name, which was Somerhalder. The biological great-grandfather's name was Hull.
- Began modeling at age 10, modeled for Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabanna, Gucci, Versace and Guess (Was the face of Guess? for two consecutive fall seasons).
- Was the face of Guess? for two consecutive Fall seasons.
- Has said in an interview he was planning to buy a home in Hawaii when was filming the hit show "Lost" but couldn't after his character was killed off in the show.
- Attended Catholic school.
- Modeled for Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabanna,and Gucci. However, he doesn't like to talk about his modeling career because of the impressions people might get of him as being just another pretty face.
- Ironically, the first actor to be cast as one of the survivors in _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv).
- Played varsity soccer and baseball.