Mar. 1st, 1927
New York City, New York, USA
Harry Belafonte's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Bobby
2004 - Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
1996 - Kansas City
1995 - White Man's Burden
1994 - Prêt-à-porter
1992 - The Player
1974 - Uptown Saturday Night
1972 - Buck and the Preacher
1959 - Odds Against Tomorrow
1959 - The World, the Flesh and the Devil
1957 - Island in the Sun
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Singer
Himself - Guest Vocalist
Ice Moose (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Harold George Belafonte was born in New York City. He attended George Washington High School, where he was on the track team. In 1944 he left high school and joined the Navy. His wife, Julie Robinson (II), was a featured dancer in Katherine Dunham's dance troupe. Both Harry and Julie were, and still are, extremely active in the civil rights struggle.
- Father, with Marguerite Byrd (aka 'Marguerite Belafonte' (qv)), of 'Shari Belafonte' (qv).
- A best-selling artist on RCA Victor records, his most successful albums with the label have included "Calypso", "Belefonte Sings of the Carribbean", "Belefonte at Carnegie Hall", "Belefonte Returns to Carnegie Hall", "Jump Up Calypso", "My Lord, What a Mornin'", "Belafonte at the Greek Theater", "The Midnight Special", "Streets I Have Walked", "Belefonte Sings of Love" and "Homeward Bound".
- His triumphant success as an entertainer in the arts did not protect him from racial discrimination, particularly in the South. As a result, he refused to perform in the southern region of the U.S. from 1954 until 1961.
- Appeared in the 1946 American Negro Theatre play "Days of Our Youth" in 1946. 'Sidney Poitier' (qv) eventually replaced Harry and was spotted by a talent agent who ignited his Hollywood career.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6721 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood,California.
- Always outspoken in his beliefs, he created controversy in October of 2002 when he made disparaging remarks about Secretary of State 'Colin Powell' (qv). Far from being upset, Powell reportedly took the remarks good-humoredly, refusing to inflame the situation any further.
- An admirer and personal pal of Cuban President 'Fidel Castro (I)' (qv).
- Has been awarded six Gold Records.
Related sites for this celeb