64 (passed away Jan. 5th, 1982)
Apr. 15th, 1917
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Hans Conried's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1978 - The Cat from Outer Space
1970 - The Phantom Tollbooth
1964 - The Patsy
1964 - Robin and the 7 Hoods
1959 - 1001 Arabian Nights
1958 - Rock-a-Bye Baby
1956 - Bus Stop
1955 - Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
1953 - Peter Pan
1953 - The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T.
1953 - The Twonky
1953 - Ben and Me
1951 - Texas Carnival
1951 - I'll See You in My Dreams
1950 - Summer Stock
1949 - On the Town
1949 - The Barkleys of Broadway
1947 - The Senator Was Indiscreet
1944 - Passage to Marseille
1943 - Crazy House
1943 - Journey Into Fear
1942 - Saboteur
1942 - Once Upon a Honeymoon
1942 - Joan of Paris
1942 - Blondie's Blessed Event
1942 - A Date with the Falcon
1940 - The Great Dictator
1939 - It's a Wonderful World
1939 - On Borrowed Time
Guest TV Roles
Dexter Graymont (segment "Love and the Footlight Fiancee")
Pepe Van Heller
Hans Conried was born in Baltimore, raised both there and in New York City. He studied acting at Columbia University, and played many major classical roles onstage. After having been a member of Orson Welles' Mercury Theatre Company, he was heard as Professor Kropotkin on the radio show "My Friend Irma" and had various roles on the "Edgar Bergen - Charlie McCarthy Show". He was in the original cast of Cole Porter's 1953 Broadway hit "Can-Can" and stayed with the show for more than a year. Known for his sharp wit, Conried was in demand as an actor, panelist and narrator, appearing frequently in television series and movies throughout the 60s and 70s.
- Stage productions of "Peter Pan" have a tradition of casting the same actor as both Mr. Darling and Captain Hook. Conried played both roles in the animated 'Walt Disney' (qv) adaptation, becoming the first actor to play both roles on film.
- His distinctive voice made him a popular radio performer during the 1930s and 1940s. In the following four decades he had a lucrative second career doing voice work for animated feature films and television productions.
- Best known as the voice of Captain Hook in _Peter Pan (1953)_ (qv).
- Father of 'Trilby Conried' (qv).
- Body donated to medical science.
- Known for portrayal of Uncle Tonoose on _"Make Room for Daddy" (1953)_ (qv) (aka "The Danny Thomas Show").
- His father was a Jewish immigrant from Austria and his Connecticut-born mother was descended from Pilgrims.
Related sites for this celeb