84 (passed away Oct. 2nd, 2006)
Sep. 14th, 1922
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Frances Bergen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1993 - Made in America
1990 - Eating
1986 - The Morning After
1984 - The Muppets Take Manhattan
1983 - The Star Chamber
1980 - American Gigolo
1953 - Titanic
Guest TV Roles
Glinda the Good
The daughter of William and Lillie Mae Westerman, her father died of tuberculosis when she was ten years old. Her mother then moved the family to Los Angeles.
She suffered a skull fracture in an auto accident when she was 14. While recuperating, she was given a Charlie McCarthy (II) doll to cheer her up. Little did she know she'd later marry Charlie's "father" - comedian & ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.
Graduated from Los Angeles High School, where she was a pom-pom girl. At 19, Frances was in the audience of Edgar Bergen's radio program as the guest of a member of his staff. Sitting in the front row, her long legs caught the attention of the 39-year-old star, who asked to meet her. They were married in Mexico after a year of long distance courtship.
- One of her best film roles came at age 68 as the matriarch in writer-director 'Henry Jaglom' (qv)'s drama _Eating (1990)_ (qv).
- Moved to Los Angeles with her mother at the age of 10 after her father died.
- Once desire to become a chanteuse and had several engagements in major supper clubs but gave it up because she felt family came first.
- As a Powers model she was known as Frances Westcott
- Mother of actress 'Candice Bergen' (qv) and actor 'Kris Bergen' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb