Feb. 23rd, 1983
London, England, UK
5' 7 1/2"
Emily Blunt's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - The Adjustment Bureau
2011 - Gnomeo and Juliet
2010 - Gulliver's Travels
2010 - The Wolfman
2009 - The Young Victoria
2008 - Sunshine Cleaning
2008 - The Great Buck Howard
2007 - The Jane Austen Book Club
2007 - Charlie Wilson's War
2007 - Dan in Real Life
2007 - Wind Chill
2006 - The Devil Wears Prada
2006 - Irresistible
2004 - My Summer of Love
Guest TV Roles
Juliet Hobbes (Voiced)
Emily Blunt is a British actress best known for her roles in My Summer of Love (2004) and The Devil Wears Prada (2006).
She was born Emily Olivia L. Blunt on February 23, 1983, in Roehampton, South West London, England, the second of four children in the family of a teacher mother and barrister father. She received a rigorous education at Ibstock Place School, a co-ed private school at Roehampton. However, young Emily Blunt had a stammer, since she was a kid of 8. Her mother took her to relaxation classes, which did not do anything. She reached a turning point at 12, when a teacher cleverly asked her to play a character with a different voice and said, "I really believe in you." Blunt ended up using a northern accent, and it did the trick, her stammer disappeared.
From 1999 - 2001 Blunt went to Hurtwood House, the top co-ed boarding school where she would excel at sport, cello and singing. She also had two years of drama studies at Hurtwood's theatre course. In August 2000, she was chosen to perform at the Edinburgh Festival. She was signed up by agent, Ken McReddie, who led her to the West End and the BBC, scoring her roles in several period dramas on stage as well as on TV productions, such as 'Foyle's War', 'Henry VIII', 'and 'Empire'. In 2001 she appeared as Gwen Cavendish opposite Dame Judi Dench in Sir Peter Hall's production of "The Royal Family" at Haymarket Theatre. For that role she won the Evening Standard Award for Best Newcomer. In 2002 she played Juliet in "Romeo and Juliet" at the prestigious Chichester Festival.
Blunt's career ascended to international fame after she starred as Isolda opposite Alex Kingston (I) in Boudica (2003) TV series. A year later she won critical acclaim for her breakout performance as Tamsin, a well-educated, cynical and deceptive 16-year-old beauty in My Summer of Love (2004), a story of two lonely girls from the opposite ends of the social heap. Emily Blunt and her co-star Natalie Press shared an Evening Standard British Film award for Most Promising Newcomer. In 2005 she spent a few months in Australia filming Irresistible (2006) with Susan Sarandon and Sam Neill. Blunt gave an impressive performance as Mara, a cunning young destroyer who acts crazy and surreptitiously provokes paranoia in others. She also continued her work on British television, starring as Natasha in Stephen Poliakoff's Gideon's Daughter (2005) (TV) opposite Bill Nighy, a role that won her a 2007 Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role.
She continued the line of playing manipulative characters as Emily, a caustic put-upon assistant to Miranda, Meryl Streep's lead in The Devil Wears Prada (2006). Blunt's performance with a neurotic twist added a dimension of sarcasm to the comedy, and gained her much attention as well as new jobs; she is billed in two dramas opposite Tom Hanks. Blunt is also billed in the title role in the period drama The Young Victoria (2009).
Emily Blunt is a highly versatile actress and a multifaceted person. Her talents include singing and playing cello; she is also skilled at horseback riding. She has been in a relationship with Canadian jazz singer and actor Michael Bublé, since the two met backstage after one of his concerts in Australia, in 2005. Emily Blunt divides her time between her two residences, one is her parents home in London, and one is her new home in Vancouver, Canada.
- Attended the 2008 Park City - Kari Feinstein Sundance Style Lounge.
- Was named as one of Screen International's 'Stars of Tomorrow' alongside James McAvoy, Noel Clarke, Michelle Ryan and Rupert Friend.
- Best friends with actress 'Anne Hathaway (I)' (qv). Emily refers to Anne as "her rock".
- Her ex-boyfriend 'Michael Bublé' (qv)'s wrote the hit single Everything for her. She is also on his album Call Me Irresponsible where she sings briefly at the end of the song Me And Mrs. Jones.
- She was told to lose weight for her role as Emily in _The Devil Wears Prada (2006)_ (qv). She revealed this in a 2006 interview with 'Craig Ferguson (I)' (qv). Co-star 'Anne Hathaway (I)' (qv) tells a similar story, and reports that she and Emily were always hungry on-set due to being kept on strict diets to maintain the rail-thin "super-model" look.
- She is not related to singer 'James Blunt' (qv).
- Admits she and her _The Devil Wears Prada (2006)_ (qv) co-star 'Stanley Tucci (I)' (qv) competed to see who could be more over-the-top in their scenes. Tucci admits his young co-star won "hands down".
- The new face of Max Mara add campaign (2007).