Aug. 25th, 1954
Paddington, London, England, UK
Elvis Costello's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
2006 - Delirious
2006 - Before the Music Dies
2004 - De-Lovely
2003 - I Love Your Work
2001 - Prison Song
1999 - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
1999 - 200 Cigarettes
1997 - Spice World
1987 - Straight to Hell
1979 - Americathon
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Musical Guest
Elvis Costello (Voiced)
Professor Mead (Voiced)
Elvis Costello was born Declan Patrick MacManus in London, England and raised in Liverpool. The son of British band leader Ross MacManus, Costello took his pseudonym from Elvis Presley and his mother's maiden name (Costello). He began performing professionally in 1969 and was a musician and/or singer in many bands around London before forming a moderately successful pub-rock band called "Flip City" in the mid-1970s. Working full time as a computer operator, he landed his first record deal with Stiff Records in 1977 and recorded his first album "My Aim Is True" while on vacation. The album was a smash hit in England and landed Costello a worldwide distribution deal with Columbia records. Forming his backup group, "The Attractions", for his second album, Costello went on to record several popular and influential albums over the next decade. Today, he is regarded as one of the most influential and popular singer/songwriters in modern music. In 1998, he collaborated with legendary tune smith, Burt Bacharach, on a highly successful album of love songs "Painted From Memory".
- Through 'Diana Krall' (qv), Jamie Chisholm is related to Elvis Costello.
- Lead singer and guitarist of 'Elvis Costello and the Attractions'.
- In addition to recordings as "Elvis Costello" (often backed by The Attractions), has recorded music as "Declan MacManus", "Napoleon Dynamite & The Royal Guard", "The Coward Brothers" (with 'T-Bone Burnett' (qv)), "Nick Lowe & His Sound", "The Emotional Toothpaste" and "The Imposter".
- Son of 'Ross MacManus' (qv)
- Legally changed name to Elvis Costello in 1977, then to Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus in 1986. Post-1986, he used both names for professional purposes, though he usually performed under the Costello moniker. "Aloysius" was not one of his original middle names.
- Attended the special dinner at Sony Studios in Los Angeles to honor the singer and activist 'Sting (I)' (qv) as MusiCares 2004 Person of the Year. The evening celebrated Sting's contribution to popular music and honored his charitable work with Amnesty International and the Rainforest Foundation. Other stars in attendance included 'Kylie Minogue' (qv), 'Elton John' (qv) & 'Dido (I)' (qv). (6th February 2004).
- Plays the guitar, harmonica and piano.
- Has twin sons, Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlan James, born December 6, 2006, with wife 'Diana Krall' (qv).