62 (passed away May. 18th, 1995)
Apr. 15th, 1933
Hollywood, California, USA
5' 5 1/2"
Elizabeth Montgomery's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Bewitched
1992 - The Panama Deception
1964 - Bikini Beach
1960 - Bells Are Ringing
Guest TV Roles
Rosamond 'Ros' Denham
Elizabeth Montgomery was born into show business. Her parents were screen actor Robert Montgomery (I) and Broadway actress Elizabeth Bryan Allen. Elizabeth graduated from the Spence School in New York City and attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York. After three years intensive training, she made her TV debut in her father's 1950s playhouse series "Robert Montgomery Presents" (1950) and appeared in more than 200 live programs over the next decade. She once remarked "I guess you could say I'm a TV baby". Notable early film roles included The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955) and Johnny Cool (1963). She is best remembered, however, for her leading role as the witch Samantha in the top-rated ABC sitcom "Bewitched" (1964). Her family - mother Endora (Agnes Moorehead), look-alike cousin (Montgomery) and advertising executive husband Darrin (first Dick York (I) then Dick Sargent) - tried to suppress her supernatural skills but often turned to her tricks to solve problems. The signal of impending witchcraft was a twitch of Samantha's nose. After her first and only TV series ended she turned to made-for-TV movies, many of which won critical praise: A Case of Rape (1974) (TV), The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975) (TV), Black Widow Murders: The Blanche Taylor Moore Story (1993) (TV). She narrated the movie The Panama Deception (1992) which won an Academy Award in 1993. Reference works showed her as 62 when she died though the family said she was 57. The family did not disclose the type of cancer which caused her death.
- Was a grand marshal with former TV husband 'Dick Sargent' (qv) at the 1992 Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade. Elizabeth was a supporter of gay rights and also women's rights throughout her life.
- Daughter of 'Elizabeth Allen (IV)' (qv) and 'Robert Montgomery (I)' (qv).
- Children 'William Asher' (qv): William Jr (b. July 24, 1964), Robert (b. October 5, 1965), Rebecca Elizabeth (b. 17 June 1969).
- She and 'Robert Foxworth' (qv), the actor, lived together for over twenty years until her death.
- She had an older sister, Martha Bryan Montgomery, (born October 13, 1930) but died of spinal meningitis at the age of 14 months, before Elizabeth was born.
- A 9 foot bronze statue of Elizabeth as Samantha Stephens riding sidesaddle on her broomstick now resides in a downtown park in Salem, Massachusetts, home to the infamous witch trials of the 17th century.
- Appeared on an episode of _"The Flintstones" (1960)_ (qv), providing the voice of a cartoon version of her famous _"Bewitched" (1964)_ (qv) character, Samantha Stevens.
- She died 8 weeks after being diagnosed with colon cancer and was cremated.