63 (passed away Feb. 20th, 1992)
Sep. 4th, 1928
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Dick York's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Bewitched
1960 - Inherit The Wind
1959 - They Came to Cordura
1958 - Cowboy
Guest TV Roles
Hector B. Poole
Elwood P. Gilroy
Sheriff Will Pearce
The gangly York is best remembered as the first and most frustrated "Darrin Stephens" on the long-running TV series "Bewitched" (1964). He left the series in 1969 due to a chronic back ailment. He later founded Acting for Life, a private fund-raising effort for the homeless, which he managed from his home where he was bedridden with a degenerative spine injury.
- Was left impoverished in 1976 after a real estate investment failed, and was on welfare for a time.
- Played jailed teacher Bertram T. Cates in both the cinematic release _Inherit the Wind (1960)_ (qv) and and the television movie _Inherit the Wind (1965) (TV)_ (qv).
- Moved to Michigan in the mid-80s to care for his wife's ill mother, and was diagnosed with emphysema shortly after.
- Special furniture was used on the set of _"Bewitched" (1964)_ (qv) for him due to his back problems. Other cast and crew members also helped him get around on the set. He had to leave the show when he suddenly collapsed one day on the set in 1969.
- York first injured his back while working on the 1959 film _They Came to Cordura (1959)_ (qv).
- At the age of 15, York was the star of the network radio program "That Brewster Boy"
- Started a charity called "Acting for Life". He spent most of his time on the telephone raising money for the homeless and getting people to donate food and clothing.
- Buried at Plainfield Cemetery, Rockford, Kent County, Michigan.
Related sites for this celeb