Jul. 20th, 1938
Doncaster, Yorkshire, England, UK
5' 8 1/2
Diana Rigg's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - The Painted Veil
1994 - A Good Man in Africa
1982 - Evil Under the Sun
1981 - The Great Muppet Caper
1973 - Theater of Blood
1971 - The Hospital
1970 - Julius Caesar
1969 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Guest TV Roles
Lady Olenna Tyrell
Dame Diana Rigg was born on July 20, 1938 in Doncaster, Yorkshire, England. She attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. In 1965, she auditioned for the popular British TV espionage series The Avengers and landed the role of the shapely, secret agent Mrs. Emma Peel. She continued to perform with the Royal Shakespeare Company. Rigg was made a Dame Commander of the British Empire in 1994.
- Became an Associate Artist of the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1967 and was the first as such to join the National Theatre of Great Britain (1971).
- Received honorary degrees from Stirling University in 1988 and Leeds University in 1992.
- The first major actor (along with co-star 'Keith Michell (I)' (qv)) to appear nude on stage in the production of "Abelard and Heloise" in 1970.
- She is more properly known as Dame Diana Rigg, the female equivalent of the title "Sir" when knighted. In June 1994, she was made a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) by Queen Elizabeth II for her long contributions to theater and film.
- Became a Member of the RADA Council.
- Mother of 'Rachael Stirling' (qv) (born 1977).
- A savage review from John Simon for her performance in "Abelard and Heloise" led her to collect devastating theatrical reviews throughout history. The result was her book "No Turn Unstoned," published in 1982.
- Father: Louis Rigg. Mother: Beryl Helliwell.
Related sites for this celeb