Nov. 24th, 1957
Hollywood, California, USA
Denise Crosby's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Ripple Effect
2004 - Trekkies 2
1998 - Deep Impact
1997 - Trekkies
1997 - Jackie Brown
1991 - Dolly Dearest
1991 - High Strung
1989 - Skin Deep
1989 - Pet Sematary
1989 - Miracle Mile
1986 - Eliminators
1985 - Desert Hearts
1983 - Curse of the Pink Panther
1982 - Trail of the Pink Panther
1982 - 48 Hrs.
1979 - 10
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Gretchen Kelly
Dr. Mary Speake
Lt. Susan Dalto
Sheriff Jenny Taylor
Forming part of the extensive Crosby family dynasty, this striking leading actress, daughter of entertainer Dennis Crosby (I), has appeared in film and television since the early 1980s. A photo spread in a 1979 issue of Playboy magazine and a recurring role in the soap opera "Days of Our Lives" (1965) in 1980 allowed Hollywood-born Denise to break through to stardom. She had a small role in 48 Hrs. (1982) playing a strong-minded lesbian and parts in Trail of the Pink Panther (1982) and Curse of the Pink Panther (1983) (both critically unsuccessful).
Her career began to pick up in the mid-'80s. She appeared in a variety of films and made-for-TV movies, including Stark (1985) (TV), Malice in Wonderland (1985) (TV) (playing 'Carole Lombard'), Desert Hearts (1985), Eliminators (1986) and Miracle Mile (1988).
In 1987 Denise caught her big break playing Lt. Tasha Yar in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987). Although not a huge role, the character allowed Denise to build a sizable fan base that exists to this day. In 1988 she left the program due to the diminishing size of her role, but returned as a guest star in the early 1990s. In 1989 she played the mother of a dead toddler who was brought back to life through an ancient curse in Stephen King (I)'s somewhat hokey horror novel film adaptation Pet Sematary (1989). Remaining in the horror genre, Denise played a similar role of a mother who discovers her young daughter's doll is evil in the Child's Play (1988) clone Dolly Dearest (1991).
The 1990s brought few opportunities to Denise, but she worked consistently, appearing in a TV series in 1993, and made numerous guest appearances, including a couple of episodes of the raunchy cable series Red Shoe Diaries (1992) (TV), which were subsequently released on video. There were also roles in Relative Fear (1994), Mutant Species (1995), Dream Man (1995) (V) and Executive Power (1997) (V). More high-profile work arrived in the form of a small role in Jackie Brown (1997), playing a public defender, and a sizable part as a pregnant mother in the hit disaster movie Deep Impact (1998). She gained recognition as a Star Trek fan by producing and presenting Trekkies (1997) and its 2004 sequel.
Since 2000, Denise has appeared on TV in guest roles on "The X Files" (1993), "JAG" (1995), "The Agency" (2001), "Threat Matrix" (2003), "Eyes" (2005) and "Dexter" (2006). She acted in the award-winning short film The Bus Stops Here (2003), had a leading role in the western/horror indie film Legend of the Phantom Rider (2002) and has recently appeared in a horror film by legendary genre director Tobe Hooper, Mortuary (2005/I). This capable actress continues to appear on television and in film. Best known for her Star Trek days, Denise embraces her fans often at conventions and will be appearing opposite her husband Ken Sylk in _Ripple Effect (2006)_, a film due for release in 2006.
- Second cousin of 'Chris Crosby (I)' (qv) and 'Cathy Crosby' (qv)
- Though her final appearance during the first season of _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv) was "Skin of Evil" (production #122), the last episode she filmed was "Symbiosis" (production @123), which aired the week before "Skin of Evil". At the conclusion of "Symbiosis", as 'Patrick Stewart (I)' (qv) and 'Gates McFadden' (qv) exit the Enterprise shuttle bay, in the distance Crosby can be seen briefly waving goodbye to the camera before the doors close.
- Granddaughter of 'Bing Crosby' (qv) and 'Dixie Lee (I)' (qv)
- Originally auditioned for the role of Counsellor Deanna Troi, on _"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987)_ (qv), but was hired as Lt. Tasha Yar instead.
- Son, with 'Ken Sylk' (qv), named August Sylk (born 17 June 1998).
- Niece of 'Gary Crosby (I)' (qv), 'Lindsay Crosby' (qv), 'Phillip Crosby' (qv), 'Nathaniel Crosby' (qv), 'Mary Crosby (I)' (qv) and 'Harry Crosby (II)' (qv)
- Former daughter-in-law of 'Blake Edwards' (qv)
- Stepdaughter of 'Pat Sheehan (I)' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb