Dec. 30th, 1945
Manchester, England, UK
Davy Jones' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1995 - The Brady Bunch Movie
1968 - Head
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Interviewee
Ray (segment "Love and the Model Apartment")
Himself - Guest Star
Davy Jones (I) left home to become a jockey. While he was an apprentice he was encouraged to go into acting and got a role in a production of "Peter Pan" From there he played on "Coronation Street" and "Pickwick Papers" before landing the role of the Artful Dodger in "Oliver!". This job took him to America's Broadway where he was discovered by Ward Sylvestor and brought to Los Angeles. From there he was given a role in "The Monkees". With this show he made 58 TV episodes 9 albums, a TV special, and a movie before calling it quits in the early 70s. In the mid-70's Davy re-joined fellow Monkee Micky Dolenz and songwriters Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart to make an album and do some touring. Davy has gone on to perform in more plays including "The Real Live Brady Bunch" and "Oliver!" (again) and has also fulfilled his dream of becoming a jockey. He rejoined the Monkees for touring from 1986-89 and 1996-97.
- Enjoyed the novelty of going out on the town with much-taller (even six-foot) women.
- Celebrated his climb as a performer on his first American visit (touring with 'Oliver!') by having steak at every meal for a month, "including breakfast." He'd never had it growing up.
- Ranked #9 in TV Guide's list of "TV's 25 Greatest Teen Idols" (23 January 2005 issue).
- Nominated for the Tony Award in the early 1960s - he played the role of the Artful Dodger in 'Oliver'.
- 'The Monkees' (qv) were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6675 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Daughter Sarah Lee Jones was married on August 28, 1998
- Jones was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1967, he was eventually excused because it was shown that he was his family's only source of financial support. (Jones' father suffered from poor health, and was no longer able to work.)
- Shares a birthday with fellow Monkee 'Michael Nesmith' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb