Jul. 22nd, 1964
Birmingham, Michigan, USA
5' 5 1/2"
David Spade's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Grown Ups
2007 - I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
2006 - Grandma's Boy
2006 - The Benchwarmers
2005 - Racing Stripes
2001 - Joe Dirt
2000 - The Emperor's New Groove
2000 - Loser
1998 - Senseless
1998 - The Rugrats Movie
1997 - 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
1996 - Black Sheep
1996 - Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
1996 - A Very Brady Sequel
1995 - Tommy Boy
1994 - PCU
1994 - Reality Bites
1993 - Coneheads
1992 - Light Sleeper
1987 - Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol
Guest TV Roles
Ticket Attendant (Voiced)
Tommy the Coyote (Voiced)
Comic brat extraordinaire David Spade was born on July 22, 1964, in Birmingham, Michigan, the youngest of three brothers. Raised in both Scottsdale (from age four) and Casa Grande, Arizona, he graduated with a degree in business from Arizona State University in 1986. A natural prankster most of his life, Spade was pushed immediately into stand-up comedy by friends and appeared in nightclubs and college campuses all over the country.
A casting agent saw his routine at "The Improv" in Los Angeles and offered him a mischievous role in the film Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987). In 1990, the diminutive, flaxen-haired comedian finally hit the big time as a regular cast member and writer on "Saturday Night Live" (1975). Slow at first in gaining acceptance on the show, his razor-sharp sarcasm eventually caught on by his second season, when he played a number of smart-aleck characters in a variety of sketches, including a highly disinterested airline steward who bids each passenger adieu with a very sardonic "buh-bye" and an irritating receptionist for Dick Clark (I) Productions who greets each huge celebrity with an unknowing "And you are . . . ?" A master of the putdown, Spade's "Hollywood Minute" reporter also took cynical advantage of tabloid-worthy stars. Spade impersonated such luminaries as Michael J. Fox (I), Kurt Cobain and Tom Petty during his tenure.
Following his SNL departure after six years, he spun off into a slapstick movie career, most noticeably as the scrawny, taciturn foil to SNL's wild and crazy big boy Chris Farley in Tommy Boy (1995) and Black Sheep (1996). The teaming of this unlikely but funny pair ended with Farley's death from a 1997 drug overdose. Since then, Spade has appeared in his own lukewarm vehicles, including Joe Dirt (2001) and Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star (2003). More recently he teamed with former SNL member Rob Schneider (I) on the film The Benchwarmers (2006). Television has been more accepting over the years, with Spade earning an Emmy nomination as the droll, skirt-chasing secretary Dennis Finch on "Just Shoot Me!" (1997) and filling in after the untimely death of John Ritter on ABC's "8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter" (2002) as Katey Sagal's unprincipled nephew.
More recently he was the star of the Comedy Central show "The Showbiz Show with David Spade" (2005) in 2005 wherein he more or less resurrected his obnoxious, razor-tongued gossipmonger from the old "Hollywood Minute" put-down segment on SNL, as well as co-starring in the adult-oriented ensemble sitcom "Rules of Engagement" (2007).
- In 1987, he performed on Fox's _"The Late Show" (1986)_ (qv) and was offered a spot as a rotating host by the producers upon 'Joan Rivers' (qv)' departure, but declined.
- Has been commercial spokesman for Sierra Mist soda and Capital One credit cards.
- Brother-in-law of fashion designer 'Kate Spade' (qv). Kate is married to his older brother, 'Andy Spade' (qv), who is president of Kate Spade Designs.
- (2001) Charged by police in his home state of Arizona with reckless jet-skiing.
- Close friend of 'Heather Locklear' (qv), 'Chris Rock (I)' (qv), 'Adam Sandler (I)' (qv) and 'Rob Schneider (I)' (qv). Best friend with 'Chris Farley' (qv).
- Studied business at Arizona State University. Graduated in 1986.
- Was one of the guests at 'Lindsay Lohan' (qv)'s 19th birthday party.
- Born on the same day as actor/comedian 'John Leguizamo' (qv). He also shares a birthday with the following celebrities: 'Alex Trebek' (qv), 'Willem Dafoe' (qv) and 'Danny Glover' (qv).