Oct. 28th, 1927
Middlesex, England, UK
Cleo Laine's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1954 - Murder by Proxy
1940 - The Thief of Bagdad
Guest TV Roles
[no bio found]
- Mother of actress and singer Jaqueline Dankworth.
- Awarded the honor of Dame in 1997
- Jazz, scat singer.
- Mother of 'Jacqui Dankworth' (qv)
- Mother of 'Alec Dankworth' (qv)
- Was nominated for Broadway's 1986 Tony Award as Best Actress (Musical) for "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."
- She took her professional name from the character "Clio Dulaine" in Edna Ferber's novel "Saratoga Trunk". Years later, she was to star in the 1971 London stage revival of "Show Boat", which is based on the novel of the same name by Edna Ferber.
- Laine is the only singer ever to have been Grammy-nominated in the popular, classical and jazz categories.
Related sites for this celeb