Dec. 27th, 1969
Rochester, New York, USA
Chyna's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2007 - Cougar Club
2007 - Illegal Aliens
2002 - Frank McKlusky, C.I.
2001 - On the Line
1999 - Beyond the Mat
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Participant
Mary Jo Ponder
Chyna (born Joan Marie Laurer; December 27, 1970) is a former American professional wrestler, actress, pornographic actress and former bodybuilder. She is best known for her career with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) from 1997 to 2001, where she was billed as "Chyna: 'The Ninth Wonder of the World'" (André the Giant was already billed as the eighth). She began her WWF career as Paul "Triple H" Levesque's on-screen bodyguard, and the duo also dated in real-life. They were both members of the popular D-Generation X stable, a storyline alliance of several wrestlers, until 1999.
Chyna holds the distinction of being the only Diva in WWE history to compete, full time, in the men's division. She was the first woman to enter the Royal Rumble, qualify for the King of the Ring tournament, and be the number one contender for the WWF Championship. In 1999, she became the first and only woman to hold the WWF Intercontinental Championship, which she held twice. She also held the WWF Women's Championship once, before leaving the company in 2001. She claims that Levesque's affair with Stephanie McMahon, daughter of WWF owner Vince McMahon, was a factor in her departure. After originally retiring from professional wrestling in 2004, Chyna made a return in May 2011 by joining Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA).
Outside of wrestling, Laurer has appeared in Playboy magazine twice, as well as numerous television shows and films. In 2005, Laurer was a cast member on VH1's The Surreal Life, which led to several other celebrity reality appearances on the network, including The Surreal Life: Fame Games in 2007 and Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew in 2008. She is also known for her tumultuous relationship with fellow wrestler Sean Waltman, with whom she made a sex tape. It was released in 2004 and entitled 1 Night in China.
- Was co-holder of the WWF Intercontinental Championship with fellow WWF superstar Chris Jericho
- Was once made "Number 1 Contender" for WWF Championsip by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, but lost her spot to Mankind.
- Once sought employment on the U.S. Secret Service.
- Worked as a belly dancer, pager salesperson, and in a band.
- Has never been in WCW, unlike most WWF Superstars.
- Worked for BTW (Big Time Wrestling) in Newark, California in the 90s.
- Left the WWF in June 2001 when she could not come to terms on a new contract due to money issues.
- She did other jobs like selling beepers, singing in an "old geezers" band, bartender, airline attendant, and a belly dancer.