82 (passed away Dec. 5th, 2008)
Oct. 17th, 1926
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Beverly Garland's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1974 - Airport 1975
1974 - Where the Red Fern Grows
1968 - Pretty Poison
1959 - The Alligator People
1957 - Not of This Earth
1957 - Chicago Confidential
1957 - Naked Paradise
1956 - Curucu, Beast of the Amazon
1956 - It Conquered the World
1955 - The Desperate Hours
1955 - New Orleans Uncensored
1955 - Swamp Women
1954 - Killer Leopard
1953 - Problem Girls
1953 - The Glass Web
1953 - The Neanderthal Man
1950 - D.O.A.
Guest TV Roles
High Princess (Voiced)
Born Beverly Fessenden in Santa Cruz, California, Beverly Garland studied dramatics under Anita Arliss, the sister of renowned stage and screen star George Arliss. She acted in little theater in Glendale and then in Phoenix, after her family relocated to Arizona. Garland also worked in radio and appeared scantily clad in a few risque shorts (with titles like "Fanny With the Cheeks of Tan") before making her feature film debut in a supporting part in D.O.A. (1950). Her husbands include actor Richard Garland and land developer Fillmore Crank, who built the two hotels which bear her name.
- Went to high school in Phoenix, Arizona and appeared in plays at the Phoenix Little Theatre. She also appeared on local radio.
- When Beverly was four, the family moved south to Glendale, California and in 1931 she made her acting debut playing Cupid in a kindergarten play.
- Performed in little theatre productions in Glendale, California as a teen and for a time studied voice with Anita Arliss, sister of the Oscar-winning actor 'George Arliss' (qv).
- Born in Santa Cruz, California, but moved with her family to Glendale (near Los Angeles) when she was four. She was an only child.
- Son, James and daughter, 'Carrington Garland' (qv), with Crank. Stepchildren, Cathleen and Fillmore, Jr.
- Her father, James Fessenden, a native of New Orleans, was a member of a prestigious family line that included great-grandfather William Pitt Fessenden, Secretary of the Treasury under President Lincoln. Jim became a salesman.
- Starting with _"Remington Steele" (1982)_ (qv), she played mothers of three television women with hazardous lives; from the aforementioned show, Laura Holt ('Stephanie Zimbalist' (qv)), Amanda King ('Kate Jackson (I)' (qv)) of _"Scarecrow and Mrs. King" (1983)_ (qv) & Lois Lane ('Teri Hatcher' (qv)) of _"Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" (1993)_ (qv).
- In the film _The Mad Room (1969)_ (qv), Beverly's character in the film was pregnant and so was she at the time of filming (with her son, Jim).
Related sites for this celeb