Jul. 23rd, 1938
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Bert Newton's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Guest Model
Himself - Announcer (Voiced)
[no bio found]
- Was injured at the 2006 Australian TV Week Logie Awards when he slipped on some gold-coloured confetti and fell off the stage. He suffered a sprained hand, a bruised nose & forehead, and a sore knee. TV viewers did not see Bert fall, as the show had ended when the accident took place.
- Was admitted to hospital on June 8, 2005 suffering from a virus. Several step-ins were asked to take over Good Morning Australia until he recovered. It was the first time in the 14 years the show has been on air, that Bert has ever had a day off hosting Good Morning Australia.
- He was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1979 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to the performing arts.
- Was for many years the host of Australia's top TV award programme, 'The Logies Award Show',and once famously (in 1973) was upstaged by hopelessly drunk American actor Michael Cole, best known for his role in the American TV series 'The Mod Squad'.
- Father of actor 'Matthew Newton (I)' (qv) and 'Lauren Newton (II)' (qv).
- Began as a radio announcer in his early years, and worked with the late Vernon Jackson.
- Shared a lengthy kiss with 'Rove McManus' (qv) during the 'Australia Unites' telethon to raise money for the World Vision Tsunami appeal in January 2005. A caller pledged to donate $10,000 if Rove & Bert kissed on air, which they did, to the amusement of the celebrities in attendance at Melbourne's Telstra Dome, and the millions watching on live television.
Related sites for this celeb