Nov. 12th, 1982
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Anne Hathaway's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - Rio
2010 - Alice in Wonderland
2010 - Love and Other Drugs
2010 - Valentine's Day
2009 - Bride Wars
2008 - Rachel Getting Married
2008 - Passengers
2008 - Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control
2008 - Get Smart
2007 - Becoming Jane
2006 - The Devil Wears Prada
2005 - Havoc
2005 - Hoodwinked
2005 - Brokeback Mountain
2004 - Ella Enchanted
2004 - The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
2002 - Nicholas Nickleby
2002 - The Other Side of Heaven
2001 - The Princess Diaries
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Host
Herself - Guest
Anne Hathaway's first major role came in the short-lived television series "Get Real" (1999). She gained widespread recognition for her roles in The Princess Diaries (2001) and its 2004 sequel as a young girl who discovers she's a member of royalty, opposite Julie Andrews (I) and Heather Matarazzo.
She also had a notable role in Nicholas Nickleby (2002) opposite Charlie Hunnam and Jamie Bell (I), and a starring role in Ella Enchanted (2004). A former top-ranking soprano in New York, Hathaway was reportedly a front-runner for the role of "Christine" in the 2004 The Phantom of the Opera (2004). However, due to scheduling conflicts with The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she couldn't take the role, which was later given to newcomer Emmy Rossum.
Hathaway soon started to move away from family-friendly films. Following The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), she appeared topless in the films Havoc (2005) opposite Josh Peck (I) and Brokeback Mountain (2005) opposite Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Her desire to break out of her "Princess Diaries" image parallels that of her one-time co-star, Julie Andrews, who went topless in the film S.O.B. (1981) in order to break away from the image she created from her 1960s musicals. In interviews, Hathaway said that doing family-friendly films didn't mean she was similar to their characters or mean she objected to appearing nude in other films.
Her upcoming films are The Devil Wears Prada (2006) opposite Meryl Streep, and Becoming Jane (2007), in which she'll play a young Jane Austen (I).
- Has a dog (chocolate Labrador) named Esmerelda, born July 2004.
- Has the same name as 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv)'s wife, Anne Hathaway.
- Won the Clarence Derwent Award for her performance as Lili in the City Center Encores! production of Carnival (2002)
- Named as one People Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful People in the world 2007.
- For the movie _The Devil Wears Prada (2006)_ (qv), Hathaway was told to gain 10 pounds (bringing her weight to 130) only to be told afterward that she would have to lose 10 pounds and they would pad her for the "fat scenes". After production, Hathaway was presented with the padding which she jokingly refers to as "Andy's ass".
- Ranked #63 on Askmen.com's 100 Most Desirable Women in the World. (2008).
- Plans on finishing her degree from NYU someday.
- Daughter of stage actress 'Kate McCauley Hathaway' (qv).