Nov. 29th, 1962
New York City, New York, USA
Andrew McCarthy's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Camp Hope
2008 - The Spiderwick Chronicles
1998 - I Woke Up Early The Day I Died
1997 - Stag
1996 - Mulholland Falls
1993 - Weekend at Bernie's II
1993 - The Joy Luck Club
1991 - Year of the Gun
1990 - Dr. M
1989 - Weekend at Bernie's
1988 - Fresh Horses
1987 - Mannequin
1987 - Less Than Zero
1986 - Pretty in Pink
1985 - St. Elmo's Fire
1983 - Class
Guest TV Roles
A.D.A. Gene Hoyle
Andrew McCarthy grew up in Westfield, New Jersey, until he was 15. He then moved to Bernardsville, and attended a prep school called the Pingry School, where he performed in plays and musicals and played basketball. At 18, he went to New York University as a theatre major and wound up as the lead in the 1983 film Class (1983). He also studied at the Circle in Square Theater School in New York. He has been in several on and off Broadway shows, such as 'Long Day's Journey', as well as over 40 movies. He continues to show his talented acting abilities in upcoming movies and shows.
- Brother of writer/director 'Justin McCarthy (I)' (qv)
- Has worked alongside fellow actor 'James Spader' (qv) in three previous films: _Pretty in Pink (1986)_ (qv), _Mannequin (1987)_ (qv) and _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv)
- As soon as filming had finished for the movie _Pretty in Pink (1986)_ (qv), he was signed on to play the lead in _Less Than Zero (1987)_ (qv). As it happened, at the last moment, 'John Hughes (I)' (qv) (director of _Pretty in Pink (1986)_ (qv)) decided he wanted to change the ending at the last minute (to what it currently is), but Andrew had already shaved his head for his next role. To solve this problem, Mr. Hughes had him don a wig for the last scene of _Pretty in Pink (1986)_ (qv).
- Has a son named Sam McCarthy, with 'Carol Schneider (I)' (qv), born in 2002.
- When the ending to _Pretty in Pink (1986)_ (qv) was re-shot, all of the principal actors had to be called back. Andrew McCarthy had already lost a substantial amount of weight and shaved his head for a new role in a New York play called "The Boys of Winter." Although he wore an auburn wig, he's noticeably more gaunt in the reshot scenes.
- Ended up marrying his college sweetheart, 'Carol Schneider (I)' (qv), 20 years after they first dated.
- Has a daughter, Willow (born 2006), with partner Dolores Rice.
- Started smoking during the filming of _St. Elmo's Fire (1985)_ (qv) (his character smoked). Has since quit.