Sep. 14th, 1973
London, England, UK
Andrew Lincoln's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2006 - Scenes of a Sexual Nature
2004 - Enduring Love
2003 - Love Actually
1999 - Human Traffic
Guest TV Roles
Boyfriend to Hep C Patient
Andrew Lincoln (né Andrew James Clutterbuck, born 14 September 1973), is an English actor, known for his roles in the TV series This Life, Teachers and afterlife, and the films Love Actually and Heartbreaker. He currently plays the lead role in AMC's television series The Walking Dead based upon the comic book series of the same name.
Lincoln was born in London to a South African nurse mother and a British civil engineer father. He grew up in Hull and moved to Bath at the age of ten. After leaving Beechen Cliff School, he attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA), where he changed his name from Clutterbuck to Lincoln. He made his first on-screen appearance in an episode of Drop the Dead Donkey. His brother is Richard Clutterbuck who works as deputy headteacher at St Laurence School in Bradford on Avon.
He rose to fame as an actor in the BBC television drama This Life, playing Edgar "Egg" Cook, before going on to star in the comedy-drama Teachers, for which he directed two episodes in the third series. For this role as Simon Casey, he went to a school for a couple of weeks to do research with his brother, who is a religious education teacher. He also had a lead role as university lecturer and psychologist Robert Bridge in afterlife next to Lesley Sharp. He has also had film roles, including appearances in Human Traffic in 1999 and Love Actually in 2003.
In 2009 he appeared in the stage production of Parlour Song. He went back to England after filming the Sky One TV series Strike Back in South Africa. He also starred alongside Vanessa Paradis in the French film Heartbreaker. In April 2010 Lincoln was cast as Rick Grimes, in the live-action adaption of the comic The Walking Dead and narrated the project on San Diego Comic-Con International 2010.
Lincoln is a prolific voice-over artist, lending his voice to many documentaries and television and radio commercials.
- Andrew attended Beechen Cliff Secondary school in Bath, Somerset (UK), before going on to attend RADA.
- His mother is South African.
- His brother is a teacher and he went to school with him for a few weeks to research his part in _"Teachers" (2001)_ (qv).
- His father was a civil engineer.
- His wife is the daughter of 'Ian Anderson (IV)' (qv), lead singer of the rock group Jethro Tull.
- Worked with London's National Youth Theatre.
- 'Apple Martin' (qv), the daughter of Coldplay's 'Chris Martin (XI)' (qv) and 'Gwyneth Paltrow' (qv), served as a flower girl at his wedding.
- His voice is familiar in the UK has he provides voice-overs for both television and radio advertising, as well as narration for documentaries.